All of my fish are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbeltxsoree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over the past few weeks my fish have been dying and can't figure out why - started with Dorie's weird behavior (still alive) then spread to other fish - treated for ich and yet didn't see visible ich charastics and even cleaner shrimp won't touch the fish - have lost Royal dottyback, banggai and pajama cardinals, both clown fish this morning and flame angel 2 days ago - water test fine on all areas and all of the shrimp and snails are fine - still have 2 yellow tangs, a sail fin tang, 2 cardinals and a fox face rabbit fish I don't want to lose - eyes are cloudy on the foxface - the cardinal developed something that looked like a cataract in almost a day and was dead within 36 hours.

Foxface today has spots on him today and attached picture of my precious clown.

Treated for ich and did major water change - any suggestions or ideas? Really need some help.

What size tank is this? What are the exact parameters (fine tells us nothing, need actual numbers) and what test kit did you use to obtain them? Did you cycle the tank and how much rock do you have?

Hi there
Going by what you're saying it's very hard to pinpoint exactly what it may be, things you could try is Test for ammonia if all clear, Carry on doing large water changes,and some concentrated vitamins to your food and feed heavy to help build up there immune system, also it wouldn't hurt to add a UV The help kill any free unwanted swimming bacteria's that may be in your system, as These are just a few things you could try if you can't see any symptoms and could go on and on with many other options it is a matter of trial and error, even an anti-bacteria treatment may work,

What I know

It's a 125g, the tank was cycled when it was first set up. Numbers were good. Ph8.2, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ammonia 0. This isn't anything new tank syndrome related. In healthy mature tanks like yours, things like this don't happen unless something was introduced.

My aquarium guy does all of this and neither of us can figure out anything

Friend suggested the garlic additives - the tank has been totally fine until Doris started acting weird in fact my cardinals were breeding and had eggs/babies less than 2 weeks ago now one is dead

It's a 125g, the tank was cycled when it was first set up. Numbers were good. Ph8.2, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ammonia 0. This isn't anything new tank syndrome related. In healthy mature tanks like yours, things like this don't happen unless something was introduced.

My aquarium guy does all of this and neither of us can figure out anything

Nitrate should never be that high in a cycled tank I believe.

Im not a saltwater guy but sound either like parasites or poor water conditions. Do at least a 50% water change. If you suspect parasites then medicate food. Good luck!

How was the tank cycled? How long after the cycle did you add fish? How many fish were added at the same time?
Though we complete a cycle, it is a pretty large grey area in reality. We establish a beneficial bacterial colony in the rocks and sand in the tank that we can never really measure. We set a pretty black and white way to cycle, but if too many fish are thrown into a system at once that bacterial colony is overwhelmed. When this happens, we basically throw the system itself into a mini-cycle. Those levels of ammonia and nitrite that are created from this is not just stressful, it burns gills. This can easily lead to an entire tank's stock being stressed and have ich break out in the system.
On top of that, having two yellow tangs in a tank this size will lead to aggression between them. Normally when it comes to our hobby sized systems, the goal is to only ever have one tang that looks like another to avoid this aggression.
Add in the sailfin tang, which is a beautiful but massive fish that need a system that is bigger than the one you are currently running, I'm really betting on a mini cycle that went through this system.

EDIT: I keep going back to read the original post. What all fish are in this tank?
Was the display tank treated for ich? What was used? If a copper based medication was used you effectively killed all invertebrates in the system.

Back
Top Bottom