Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright!! FISH ONLY!!! Clown and Firefish

I just fishished my cycle and i picked up a oscellaris clown TR, and a firefish. What do i need to know?? the clown behaves odd.. he moves up and down repeatedly. Is this normal?

adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i have both of those fish and the up and down is normal i had a few fish do that while they got familiar to the tank. my clown always swims around and hangs out in my leather toadstools. the firefish was shy and hid out for about a week under some coral. but after that he swims around and does his little gig or dance for some reason but its cool though. As far as feeding goes i just use prime flakes, and a few times a week i soak them in selcon. both are healthy, bright in color and i have never had any problems with them getting sick. but their both cool fish so good choice and have fun watchin them

Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

adam - just wanted to share something interesting about the clowns (I have both clowns and firefish also). I bought an established tank from someone in town. I asked him if we should get an anemone for the clowns and he thought it would harm the firefish so he put a huge conch in the tank. When he introduced a larger fish to the tank the clowns made the conch their home! At night when we turn out the lights all three fish go to their "beds" and the clowns actually LAY in the conch until we turn the light back on! They stick by it all day too. The firefish always tries to get in there too but they push him out if he gets in.

flame82 - I added a tang and I've only seen my firefish once in the last 10 days. Any idea how to coax him out?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have only had my firefish for a day and he is really active. You don't need to know much. Both of those fish are VERY easy to take care of. Here is a couple pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fireclown_954.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2137   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefish_198.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2138  

Click image for larger version

Name:	38gallon_131.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2139  

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
yeah the up and down mtion is normal...its used for swimming through anenomes...well you know,sorry cant go in depth about since i cant remember right now

and is that all yur putting in there? or are you getting more later?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Who?? Me?

I am adding a royal gramma for sure. Not sure after that. Maybe one other small fish. I will just have to see how it goes.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
Old 04-24-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
oh ok just wonderin since theres just the two little fish in that one spot

oh yeah nice tank!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is three small fish and 5 blue leg hermits. That is it. That tank is a work in progress. It looks pretty good for what it is. I just wish it had sand in it.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

interesting... odd fish... what is the best temp and specific gravity? and all other water conditions? I feel like im missing something.... something does not seem right... could just be paranoid
adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep my tanks at 78-79 degrees with a SG of 1.024. Everything is fine.

I think your just paranoid. I always am when I first start a new tank. I always put a damsel in first to make sure water is ok. Then I still get worried whenever I add a more expensive fish.

Tags
clown, firefish, fish only

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com