Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Alveopora not extending

I have had a fairly large stalk of Alveopora for probably 4 or 5 months now. Over the past month it has been extending less and less. Nothing about the tank or parameters have changed. My nitrites are 0, Nitrates are 10, ammonia is 0, I dose Tropic Marin Biocalcium as needed to keep the calcium levels between 400 and 450. DKH seems to be in the "ideal" area according to my test strip, and PH is at 8.2. Should I be adding other supplements? For lighting I have 4 96 watt PC's (2 10,000K and 2 Actinic) and 4 regular output 10,000k flourescents (25 watts each). The Alveopora is placed in the middle of the water column in a low current area. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Clayton

Old 08-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Alveopora are the first cousins of gonipora and tend to suffer the same fate. There is most likely nothing you can do, but my alveopora (before I sold it) liked med waterflow and a medium lighting.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just read that they are testing the theory that a lack of iron and managnese could be the culprit behind the short captivity life of alvepora/goniopora.

I bought some "Coral-Vite" which contains both.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Reefrunner,

Should I move it higher in the tank or lower given my lighting? My tank is a 130 gal tank. It is 6 ft long and 2 ft tall. The Alveopora is currently in the middle of the water column.

Thanks,
Clayton
Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Given the depth of your tank, I'd move it a bit closer to the top.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com