Am I doing this correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefnoob84

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i bought a 4 1/2" naso tang from the lfs last week didn't qt and it died from what i believe was in ich infestation yesterday after a week in the dt. for the first 5 days he was fine it seemed picking off rocks eating broccoli and romaine mysis then he just stopped eating and what looked to be ich all over his one side. tried garlic enhancers with no luck. then kaput.

before anyone tells me about the size tank he was in the wife and i are getting a 300g when we get our tax return.

the dt is a 75 gal w/100 lbs lr and 120lbs live sand between the dt and fuge
tank has been set up for 3months i filled it with lr from my 46g that was running for 6 months. css 65 skimmer (ev180 w/mag9.5 friday!:) 29 gal fuge sump

temp 79.5
ph 8.3
ammonia 0.0
nitrate 0.0
nitrite 0.0
dkh 11
phosphate >0.5
calcium 440ppm
SG 1.024
weekly 15% pwc

tank mates are 2 tomato clowns, 2 false percs, a flame angle, 1 1/2" blue hippo. inverts fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, couple hand fulls of red legged hermits and tubro, tequila, red footed mexican snails

so after the naso passed i went to another lfs and got a 20g small heater and hob filter. i already had a air pump and large air stone i use when mixing saltwater.

filled the qt with mixed ro water started the filter and put in the air-stone and proceeded to catch ALL the fish in my dt to put in the hospital tank. treated with ich-x witch is formalin based

I went back to the store where i bought the naso and the owner who is a good guy gave me a replacement naso. reluctantly i took him and put right in the qt.

the water in the qt has .0 ammonia .0 nitrate .0 nitrite temp 78 so far daily pwc's at 35%.
its also a little foggy.

the blue hippo has ich now as well, noticed right after he was qt'd

So my questions are and i hope some of you can help

1) When i shut off the light the hippo starts to discolor all along his belly and his fins go erect. when the lights come back on after 20 minutes hes fine. whats up with that?
2) i wish i could of gotten a 30L or 40g breeder for more floor space but couldn't afford it. even checked cl and ebay for local and nothing within a 2 hr drive. still looking. Is it too small? am i going to send more fish to the bowl of heaven by it being too small?
3) should I put my clowns and maradrin back into the dt? never showed signs of any disease, parasite or fungus.
4) the hippo and nasos gills are rapidly moving. the nasos are faster than the hippo. anything i can do to help?
5) qt water cloudy. enough to where i can't see through to the other side looking long ways

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I forgot any info that is needed to better diagnose tell me and I'll do my best to get it up on the site.

I have pictures of the hippo showing the ich on another thread but not the discoloration. I'll try to get them on this thread.

Last edited:
Here are some pics let me know if I should post others. All of them are eating formula 2 and mysis soaked in garlic. The naso is the only one that barely eats

If the cloudy water is the qt you probably haven't cycled it. Put a sponge for
your sump in it's filter

The instructions said to take the carbon out and with a hob filter where's the carbon? In the filter media. Stupid me didn't think so I pulled the pad and left it. I'm pretty sure that's half the reason for the cloud.

Just remembered I have a matrix filter bag that's fresh so I removed the carbon again and put the bag in there.

All of my sponges just went into vinegar to be cleansed since my tank is going fallow and the bio filter is well established.

I have a Flame angel that had ich. I used seachems cupramine and it worked very well it seems to be all gone.

Water cleared up I put a canister filter from my dt on it. It's crystal now. All fish are doin well on copper treatment. All are eating and the ich on 2 have cleared up some but we will see in a couple weeks

That mandarin might not do well at all in the copper. And hippos are weird fish IMO. Prolly totally normal what he's doing when the lights go out.

austinsdad said:
That mandarin might not do well at all in the copper. And hippos are weird fish IMO. Prolly totally normal what he's doing when the lights go out.

Mandarin went back to dt. Further investigation they don't get it or there's never been a reported case.

I think the Naso, being a wild caught specimen, was freaked out being in a small space (small to him at least). That combined with the stress of being caught, hitting the LFS, and then to you, was enough to lower his immune system to let ich get a foothold. Also, many LFS's keep the salinity of their water at .017 or so, which will keep parasites from taking over. That's fine and dandy, until you get them home and introduce them to your water...
I think moving the hippo from the 75 to this QT was enough to stress him out too. I would have waited and watched to see if anyone else got a bad case of it before I moved them. My hippo had a couple spots on him when I introduced him, but they went away and haven't been seen since. This has always been the case for my additions except for one fish- an Achilles tang.
I figure that the environment of least stress is the one that looks most like their natural habitat.

A naso is probably one of the last tangs I would consider for a 75. I would stick to the round bodied tangs for now, like scopus, yellow, purple, or one that stays somewhat small like a kole.

I know my methods aren't the popular way, but I've had good luck thus far.

That skimmer is way underpowered also. I'm sure you know that, but just in case..

I put fish back into qt. all are doing good. Naso is eating broccoli and the hippo devours anything. I'm going to wind up giving the naso to a friend with a 210 gal tank. And prolly get a kole tang. My wife really liked the orange tipped kole!

I put fish back into qt. all are doing good. Naso is eating broccoli and the hippo devours anything. I'm going to wind up giving the naso to a friend with a 210 gal tank. And prolly get a kole tang. My wife really liked the orange tipped kole!

You sure have recieved some good advice on this thread. I think getting rid of the naso would be good for the tank. I`ve had experience with kole tangs and they would have a better chance. One problem I do have is that your display was exposed to the parasite. It will need to be fishless for about 8 weeks to get rid of the parasite.

Back
Top Bottom