Am I exercizing my Fish to Death???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I go this off of a website about Diatom filters and thought it was intersting to say the least.

"The main reason we don't recommend it is because most fish will not be able to stand the strain of constantly having to swim against the strong current generated by the Diatom Filter or any other high flow filter for that matter.
Fish needs rest and may very well die if they don't get it. Naturally it is up to the individual to determine how much current his fish can tolerate and how much filtration is necessary, depending on the size of the aquarium and fish. I strongly suggest that all power filtration be turned off for a few hours each day unless it is particularly needed at the time."
:roll:

Can anyone tell me what time they turn the ocean down? Who writes this stuff, Marketers? Oh wait, I'm in marketing, strike that last comment. :wink:

You can’t turn the ocean off but fish can get away from the heaver surf if it’s too much for them.

I have roughly 950 gph flowing through my 55 gal between the sump pump & two ph and it is quite brisk most of the day. At night I do drop off both ph which is on a timer so it’s slower slightly in order for my fish to settle in for the night and sleep.

I guess it depends on the total current you have flowing. I don’t think I could sleep very well if I was getting tossed about all night.

I just give my fish many good hiding places so they can escape the strong current.

I have around 10,000 GPH of current in my tank. The only thing I turn off is the overflow/sump pumps when I feed to keep from pulling in food. If the fish want to sleep they go in the rocks.

I know, but I have pretty good flow between the rocks as well and I see them fighting the current back there as well so I worrry about it :roll: With a 525 gal tank I'm sure your guys have no problem finding a spot to settle in. You are probably right in that they would still be able to sleep but I sleep better knowing they can just chill back in the rock at night.

Did the site specifically refer to a marine tank?
If you have little or no LR the fish may not be able to escape the flow. Mine find plenty of areas at night to settle in amongst the rocks. However, I did just buy a timer to put a couple of my ph's on for the night to lower the flow.

Back
Top Bottom