am i just screwed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revenant_06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 120 gallon reef tank with inverts, i noticed today that my regal angel fish has a few spots of ich on him. unfortunatly when i dug out my quarantine tank i noticed someone decided to crack it for me. i dont have enough money to run out and buy another tank. am i just screwed? or is there a way i can fight a mild case of ich with out taking him out of the reef? not sure what to do right now i feel rather powerless any info would be awesome. i should also mention it is only 4 small spots total i have checked him out very thurough and he has not been rubbing up against any rocks or any abnormal behavior what so ever. i keep a pretty good eye on my tank and check the fish out daily. these spots shown up within the last three hours

Good day. If you aren't doing it already, I'd start feeding with garlic. Try to boost up there immune system and they can fight it off. Trying to fish it out will only stress it which will further weaken the immune system. Another option is using the Dr.Gs medicated food. I've used it in the past and it does work.

Good Luck

Sorry- I've never dealt with ich personally. I don't want you to think we're ignoring you, but I really can't answer this one. :/ I hope someone who knows about ich will chime in and help you. Good luck!

Raising the temp is a freshwater trick. It does not do anything for saltwater Ich. Some say that garlic additives increases the immune system. That can't hurt to try. You don't want to treat your DT with copper or hypo, so if QT is not an option, then you've got to just keep parameters as pristine as possible and hope that the fish can tough it out. Some will, so Ich is not always a death sentence (like some other things are). Without doing the fallow tank, Ich will likely survive in the DT and you run the risk of it coming back in the future.

Even if the ick spots disappear ,which they will when they drop off.The fish can still have ick most likely in the gills. Best bet like thetodd said water quality pristine,then eventually get yur self a qt so you can treat the fish and allow a fishless dt so remaining ick will die...

Back
Top Bottom