Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ammonia Crisis

Ammonia reading has been high - measuring something like 1.0-1.5. Before this, highest reading after cycling was 0.1. I did eveything I know of - changed 1/2 the water; added carbon - no change. Tank is a 55 gallon with 72 lb lr & remora pro skimmer,, all up and running for 3 months. This came on suddenly, since last week's test showed 0.1 ammonia. One crab has died and one fish showing distress. Inhabitants are a royal gramma, clown, yellow tang, a few starfish, 3 shrimp & small snails and a bunch of small hermits. Nitrites are 0, nitrates are OK, ph a bit low at 8.2. Only change I can think of was the addition of several small hermits. Any advice as to how to get the ammonia down? Why didn't it go down after a 50% water change?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

something is decaying in the tank. carbon does NOTHING for ammonia levels.

You might try adding something like Prime, a dechlorinator that also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Normally I don't recommend chemicals, but I trust Prime, and your tank should be cycled fully.

See if you have any missing livestock (fish or inverts) as I can only guess decaying 'something' is your ammonia source.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you clean your LR or use antibiotics or other additives recently? If not, there's gotta be something dead or dying. I have heard that Prime is good for an emergency like yours. Good Luck.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phases99
Did you clean your LR or use antibiotics or other additives recently? If not, there's gotta be something dead or dying. I have heard that Prime is good for an emergency like yours. Good Luck.
No, but now that I'm thinking about it, the yellow tang & royal gramma were put in together 2 weeks ago (perhaps a bioload problem?). When I came home today, the royal gramma was dead, but the ammonia readings had dropped to 0.3 (nitrite still 0). I went to the lfs and picked up Prime - just dosd the tank. I'll measuire the ammonia in the morning & will update this string. Thank you both.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It usually only takes a few days or less for the bacteria population to catch up to an additional bio load. But if you only had the Clown and tripled your bio load it may have had an effect. Did you test a few days after you added the new fish?
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #6

I did triple my bioload and I also added a bunch of hermits. I need to check my log book about interim tests. I'll respond with specifics when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com