Ammonia Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ammonia reading has been high - measuring something like 1.0-1.5. Before this, highest reading after cycling was 0.1. I did eveything I know of - changed 1/2 the water; added carbon - no change. Tank is a 55 gallon with 72 lb lr & remora pro skimmer,, all up and running for 3 months. This came on suddenly, since last week's test showed 0.1 ammonia. One crab has died and one fish showing distress. Inhabitants are a royal gramma, clown, yellow tang, a few starfish, 3 shrimp & small snails and a bunch of small hermits. Nitrites are 0, nitrates are OK, ph a bit low at 8.2. Only change I can think of was the addition of several small hermits. Any advice as to how to get the ammonia down? Why didn't it go down after a 50% water change?

something is decaying in the tank. carbon does NOTHING for ammonia levels.

You might try adding something like Prime, a dechlorinator that also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Normally I don't recommend chemicals, but I trust Prime, and your tank should be cycled fully.

See if you have any missing livestock (fish or inverts) as I can only guess decaying 'something' is your ammonia source.

Did you clean your LR or use antibiotics or other additives recently? If not, there's gotta be something dead or dying. I have heard that Prime is good for an emergency like yours. Good Luck.

phases99 said:
Did you clean your LR or use antibiotics or other additives recently? If not, there's gotta be something dead or dying. I have heard that Prime is good for an emergency like yours. Good Luck.

No, but now that I'm thinking about it, the yellow tang & royal gramma were put in together 2 weeks ago (perhaps a bioload problem?). When I came home today, the royal gramma was dead, but the ammonia readings had dropped to 0.3 (nitrite still 0). I went to the lfs and picked up Prime - just dosd the tank. I'll measuire the ammonia in the morning & will update this string. Thank you both.

It usually only takes a few days or less for the bacteria population to catch up to an additional bio load. But if you only had the Clown and tripled your bio load it may have had an effect. Did you test a few days after you added the new fish?

I did triple my bioload and I also added a bunch of hermits. I need to check my log book about interim tests. I'll respond with specifics when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom