ammonia level is 0.5 how do I reduce it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epineiro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, According to API test kit I have the following readings.

ammonia: 0.25 or 0.50
nitrate: 5 or 10
nitrite: 0
PH: 8.5
Carbonate KH: 161.1
SG: 1.025
Temperature: 25 Degrees Celsius

New install!
Aquamedic Yasha Nano tank
2x large Live rock
3x small Corals
2x clown fish
1x puffer fish

Unfortunately I could not tell the difference between certain colours in the ammonia and nitrate colour charts. The ammonia colour chart level between 0.25 and 0.50 where the same colour, I found the same colour problem with the nitrate level 5 and 10ppm.

However given the above test results, should I PWC 20% of the water every day until the ammonia levels reduce to 0? Or should I wait for an increase in good bacteria? Can I wait till the end of the week and take another measurement or should I start the PWC?

I don't want dead fish!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a pwc of 10-15%. Your pH is a lil high too. How old is the tank?

You got a puffer and 2 clown fish in a 10g tank. You will have dead fish soon I believe.

That tank can MAYBE house 1 very small clown. That's it. You're quickly headed down a path. A puffer belongs in a much larger tank.

You got a puffer and 2 clown fish in a 10g tank. You will have dead fish soon I believe.

That tank can MAYBE house 1 very small clown. That's it. You're quickly headed down a path. A puffer belongs in a much larger tank.

+1 Didn't even catch that... Yeah, defiantly need to reduce your fish or get a bigger tank.

What size tank do you have they say 10gal but I don't see it. A puffer fish needs a very large tank like125gal. They get like a foot long if not bigger

Thanks for the information,

The tank is a previous set-up with the same components i.e. the same 3 small fish etc. From my knowledge these fish have not had any critical health issues in the past 3 months, while in the same tank. This is given that the tank has a weekly 15% pwc.

The puffer is a baby spotted puffer fish about 2.5cm long
The two clowns are about 1.5cm in size.

Another point to make is that 5 days ago I moved the tank from it's location. This includes a change in some corals and live rocks and more live gravel.

Could it be that the tank move disrupted the natural good bacteria growing in the live rocks, live gravel?

Also do you know if the PH levels can be affected by live gravel?

Thank you

&

Regards
Edson Pineiro

Thanks for the information,

The tank is a previous set-up with the same components i.e. the same 3 small fish etc. From my knowledge these fish have not had any critical health issues in the past 3 months, while in the same tank. This is given that the tank has a weekly 15% pwc.

The puffer is a baby spotted puffer fish about 2.5cm long
The two clowns are about 1.5cm in size.

Another point to make is that 5 days ago I moved the tank from it's location. This includes a change in some corals and live rocks and more live gravel.

Could it be that the tank move disrupted the natural good bacteria growing in the live rocks, live gravel?

Also do you know if the PH levels can be affected by live gravel?

Thank you

&

Regards
Edson Pineiro

The new LR probably caused the spike...

Thanks for the friendly advise.

So far the Reef Tank is running very smoothly, I added some additional devices such as a JBJ chiller etc. etc.

With regards to the Ammonia levels, I found that my API test kit measured for both Ammonia (NH3) and Ammonium (NH4+). Using the following ammonia calculator I was able to find the specific ammonia (NH3) levels.
Given the above PH, Temperature, NH3 and NH4+ readings, my tank has a total of only 0.076 ammonia.

Regards
Edson Pineiro

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom