Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ammonia spike after adding uncured liverock.

Amonia is at 2 ppm. Just curious if adding a product like Prime would help or hurt in this situation. I have lost some baby pipe fish and a couple other small fish and I dont want to loose anymore. Will it prolong the cycle or help. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Seeing a spike in ammonia points to a good amount of die off from the rock you added. It won't prolong the cycle, it is part of it. You will see ammonia spike then drop as nitrites spike then drop and nitrates rise.
Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish and other livestock. You should not have anything in the tank while it is cycling or they will die unless you are able to keep the levels of ammonia and such in check via water changes...which then can prolong your cycle and cost you more money by doing additional water changes. Save yourself time and money, cycle the tank and then worry about livestock.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, I used Bio Spira and it did the trick. Everything looks better and my nitrates have come up. All the organisims are coming around. I would like to say thanks but no one realy helped me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, cure, live, liverock, red, rock, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com