Amonia Spike = Red Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok I posted this over in the sick fish formun, but I now know why my fish is sick :( it is an amonia spike.

I had 100# of lr from lr.com. I added another 30# to my tank, on tuesday, that had all ready cycled and had be running for close to 4 months. I had one yellow tang (which is now turning red). All of my levels were fine until this morning.

Last night I heard some snapping sounds. uugh a Mantis shrimp. So I took one of the new rocks out (smelled fine) it did not have a "dieoff" smell. I did a hypo dip. Nothing cameout but I know he is in this rock because it was snapping when I pulled the rock out. I put the rock back in and waited to test the water this morning. Now that rock is white with hardly any coraline on it :( and I have an amonia spike of .25. Now my corals are all closed up and not looking to good. I did a 5 gal water change this morning and I will do one more tonight.

Do you think there is anything else that I can do?

Do you think that the Mantis shrimp could have killed something in the tank like my brittle star or a snail? or do you think doing the hyposalinty dip killed something in the rock? I don't think it was the rock it's self since it was such as small amount compared to what I had and It did not have any smell.

I will be devistated if m tang dies. He is my first fish and I only had him for a week. Please help :(

TIA

I only have a 20 gal QT and I think that would stress him out too much. He is a new fish and he is very skitish (spl?) right now. He hides all day so I think he is kind of stressed.

With that much LR and with you just removing one rock to dip, I would not think the ammonia would spike at all or if so, it should not last.

Do a water change to help out and I wuld think all would stabalize on its own. Unless something else is happening.

ellisz said:
With that much LR and with you just removing one rock to dip, I would not think the ammonia would spike at all or if so, it should not last.

That's what I was thinking. I added such as small amount in relation to the amount I already had. That's why I think that the Mantis shrimp killed something. Man I was just posting how I got lucky with now Mantis shrimp in any of my rocks now I get one. :( Oh well maybe I can trade him for some frag if he comes out peacefully :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom