Amphipod disaster! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to know what eats amphipods that is reef safe. I have a mandarin that won't touch them and a clown goby that won't either. My tank is 55 gallons and it is official that they have killed two of my snails. I literally watched them crawling all over them. Someone told me that they only eat dying things but these snails were actively cleaning my glass and I've had them for a long time! They are taking over and I'm also not seeing Copepods anymore. They are also munching on polyps I believe. I see them on there when I go look at night.

By the way, I culture pods so I have plenty for my mandarin but he eats frozen foods twice a day. My tank use to be swarming with them though. I made the mistake of ordering the amphipods from R2G because I thought a variety of snack food for him might be nice. NO. Any advice?

look into a wrasse
some will eat them I know the lunar wrasse will take them out
but he is not 100% reef safe but they are coral safe invert beware type fish
6 line are reef safe but they don't eat them as fast
some pet stores will loan out a fish for pest problems

those pesky damsels will help exterminate also the yellow tails work best cause they don't get big and if you did one or two to keep down there aggressive side

I borrowed a harlequin shrimp for 2 weeks to resolve a star fish infestation once

look into a wrasse
some will eat them I know the lunar wrasse will take them out
but he is not 100% reef safe but they are coral safe invert beware type fish
6 line are reef safe but they don't eat them as fast
some pet stores will loan out a fish for pest problems

those pesky damsels will help exterminate also the yellow tails work best cause they don't get big and if you did one or two to keep down there aggressive side

I borrowed a harlequin shrimp for 2 weeks to resolve a star fish infestation once

I have inverts. Uhg...HATE DAMSELS! lol!

lol most do

I have a yellow tail , domino , 3 stripe , yellow , and never seen aggression from any of them

can still look into a 6 line he will help some

I think a wrasse of some sort is probably the safest way to go, BUT they will likely out-compete the mandarin for his pods, so you might need to restock your pods or re-home the mandarin. A flasher wrasse is probably the least aggressive with the mandarin followed by maybe a Lubbock's fairy wrasse.

I have a mandarin and a six line with no problems

I may try the six line wrasse. I've had damsels kill clowns before so I cringe at putting one in my tank and having to go through QT for 4 weeks for one! Haha!

Would a dwarf angel eat them? I know it's not their regular diet but someone told me that they might. I've had some before but never had amphipods in my tank either.

Coral banded shrimp are petty cool looking. I had one but my trigger( he got big) eat him. They hunt bugs

I have a green coris wrasse. He does not bother anything but he will take out the pods. Whenever I add any to my tank he goes nuts eating them until he cant eat anymore. He also digs around looking for them. Beautiful green color also.

Back
Top Bottom