Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ananome shrinking and high salinity

Hi I have a 15 gallon biocube with a clown shrimp and anoneme my ananome has been shrinking and I tested my water yesterday my salinity was at 1.30 I went to the fish store they said that I need yo bring it down gradually I took some water out and added fresh water it brought it down to 1.28 my anoneme is still down is he gonna make it what should I do

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Granted... your salinity is a bit high (assuming you meant 1.030, and not 1.30) but when you figure natural sea water is 1.026-1.027, you're not that far away. I'd wonder if it isn't something else. What kind of lighting is on that tank?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyds
Hi I have a 15 gallon biocube with a clown shrimp and anoneme my ananome has been shrinking and I tested my water yesterday my salinity was at 1.30 I went to the fish store they said that I need yo bring it down gradually I took some water out and added fresh water it brought it down to 1.28 my anoneme is still down is he gonna make it what should I do
I have the coral life not sure what kind I'll check when i go home is 1.030 salinity toxic the clown and the shrimp were doing fine
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not toxic, but it's higher than it should be. What are you measuring salinity with... a swing-arm hydrometer or a refractometer? Swing-arms are notoriously unreliable, and before changing things too much I'd make sure your salinity is actually what you think it is.

As far as lighting, I meant what kind of lights/what wattage? Seems like most of the stock lighting on those cubes aren't enough to really support anemones.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
It's not toxic, but it's higher than it should be. What are you measuring salinity with... a swing-arm hydrometer or a refractometer? Swing-arms are notoriously unreliable, and before changing things too much I'd make sure your salinity is actually what you think it is.

As far as lighting, I meant what kind of lights/what wattage? Seems like most of the stock lighting on those cubes aren't enough to really support anemones.
I'm sure of the salinity I took a sample to fish store they checked with refractometer not the swing arm the anemone was fine for about a year with the lights I will check which wattage they are and I replaced them a few months ago
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

I should say that I bought the while tank setup from someone who had it for a year an over the past few months I wasn't addin fresh water to make up for the salt evaporation instead I was adding salt water
Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... if it had been in there a year with no issues, then lighting isn't the issue! I was assuming this was a new guy you just put in the tank.

If you replaced the lighting recently, that might be the issue. New lights will be quite a bit brighter than the old ones, and it takes everyone a while to adjust to the brighter lights.

Don't get me wrong... you want that salinity down in the 1.025-1.026 range, and you want to lower it slowly like the LFS said. But I just have a feeling that a slow rise to 1.030 isn't enough to really cause the anemone to shrink up. Regardless, there's nothing you can really do except lower the salinity by .001 or less a day, keep your water parameters in tip top shape, and cross your fingers.

(By the way... welcome to the Forum!)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #8

Well the lighting wasn't replaced recently maybe like 4 months ago I'll keep my fingers crossed I lowered it from 1.030 to 1.028 this morning thanks for the reply I hope he gets better
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #9

I have two lights that alternate coralife 10000 k 24 wt comes on for like 8 hrs and coralife aclinic night light 24 wt always on with the other one and it Stays on by itself for a few hrs a day then I turn both of them off when I go to bed
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

My bubble tip anemone did the same thing it was fine for a year then one day I read the salt levels and read 1.030so I have been doing water changes and finally got down to 1.26 and my anemone hasent recovered and I think its going to die. :-(

Tags
nano, salinity, shrinking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com