Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Anemone Alright?

So Iíve had a Green BTA for a while and I just recently bought a 2Ē maroon clownfish. The BTA is about 3Ē-3 1/2Ē in diamter when fully expanded. The maroon for the first two days was very aggressively hosting the nem. He was also biting and tasting the nem a lot. Now is day three and the nem is colored up, mouth looks good not protruding, and 75% of the tentacles are bubbled up and the other 25% are deflated. But he is about half the size he was before the clownfish. I read that it just takes time for the nem to get used to the clown, but I just want to know if everything will be alright. The maroon has chilled out a bit of its aggressive hosting. I feed the nem once or twice a week (mysis shrimp). All of the corals in the tank are doing great. Including Chalice, Trachyphyllia (or however you spell it) Open Brain Coral, Xenia, Mushroom that a healing for fragging, Montipora Capricornus, and Green Star Polyps. I run chemi pure blue nano packets, its a 10 Gallon tank. I do 25%-30% water changes every 1-2 weeks. I have reef capable LEDs (30 WATTS).
Parameters:

Salinity 1.026
pH 8.3
Nitrate 2 ppm
Nitrite and Ammonia 0
Phosphates ~0.02
Temperature 79 Fahrenheit
Magnesium 1400
Calcium 410
Alkalinity 9 dKH
Lighting period 10 1/2 hours a day.
Medium flow throughout the tank.

Tank mates:
1 Neon Damselfish
2 Blue legged hermit crabs
2 Astra Snails
1 Nassarius Snail
1 Cerith Snail
1 Feather Duster Worm
And all of the corals I mentioned above
And Coraline Algae that is growing

These pictures are right now

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	309449

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	309450

BTW the algae you see in the pictures came on the rock from another tank, this tank is VERY clean. The algae is actually dying.
I just got a new phone so I lost the picture of what it looked like before.
Thank You!
__________________

__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Posts: 176
Looks fine your Anemone will likely adjust to the abuse by the clown fish. My Perc clowns only leave my RBA only when its feeding time.
__________________

__________________
choupic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by choupic View Post
Looks fine your Anemone will likely adjust to the abuse by the clown fish. My Perc clowns only leave my RBA only when its feeding time.


Thank you!
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Anemone Alright?

Update, his mouth is protruding, just a little bit. Not that much though. You canít really see the mouth in this picture, but throughout the day who opens and closes his mouth, but like I said before 75% of his tentacles are bubbled up and the other 25% are shrunken or deflated. You can see the mouth in picture #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	309451
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	309452
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Sorry for all of the updates, but I wanted to say that his mouth is completely closed up up again
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	309471
Update:
Mouth is open in the picture but has been closing and opening all day, 25% of the tips are bubbled up and 75% are shrunken.
Does it look like it will be ok?
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,195
It is obvious that the clown is stressing out your anemone. The symbiotic relationship that these two creatures have together can be very hard on an anemone if it isn't large enough.
Simply put, your anemone isn't large enough for the clown. The solution is to either put some sort of cage over the anemone or remove the clown.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
Ok that makes sense thank you!
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nanofowlrboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
So I decided I want to keep the clownfish until the nem gets a bit bigger, so what would be the best option for separation? And how long?
__________________
nanofowlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,195
Even one of those green plastic containers strawberries come in would do.
As for how long...until itís bigger.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anemone, clown, clownfish, fish, intro, introduction, maroon clown, maroon clownfish, shrinking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is PVC and PVC cement alright to use? rdefino Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 10-25-2004 04:46 PM
Is it alright to use an Amrid Ammonia Remover? rdefino Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 10-15-2004 07:34 PM
am i doing alright on my tanks? coolkidthatlike Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 01-11-2004 01:03 AM
is it alright to cylce with activated carbon? MT79 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 6 08-06-2003 09:43 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.