Anemone - dead or mostly dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennowensucd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My anemone got stuck on to the HOB a few weeks ago. I turned it off and he went back to normal. Last night he got stuck again. I turned it off and gave him a bit of time and he came off himself. He seemed to be replumping this morning but I just came home from work and he's back up there again and his stump seems to have some strange growths on it. It's usually smooth looking. I turned the filter off but haven't tried to take him off of it. I had my water tested this weekend and things are good (see below) and everyone else, including my rose bubble tip nem, are fine. Thoughts?

Ph - 8.0
KH - 8
Density - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
Phos. - 0
Cal. - 400

IMG_5220.jpgIMG_5221.jpgIMG_5222.jpg

How was it acclimated? It is alive, just stressed. It looks like it wasn't ever able to get its foot settled once it was put into the system. Turn off the powerheads and such for an hour. Put the anemone back on the rock and it should settle itself. Once it does, turn everything back on.

I floated the bag and slowly added tank water and then placed him on a rock. He made his way around the tank and has been in the back corner for about a month now. He sits near a cave but never attaches. The first time he got stuck I put him back in on the rocks to the right and he made it back over to that same spot by the next morning but again did not attach. Just hangout there.

I turned off the filter but will turn off the power heads as well and see if that helps.

foam pre-filters over intakes and a lady's stocking over power heads can help prevent that very thing ,

I would try placing the nem and a small rock under a plastic strawberry crate it may need to be weighted down , give the nem time to recover along with time to start hosting the small rock under the crate with it .

I would do this with any new nem save it from exactly what happen to you

it may survive I had one that looked like it went through a blender that made a slow recovery but it did

There is no way that a simple HOB filter has enough power to suck a healthy anemone out of the corner of any tank. It most likely was on the move and got caught in the flow.
I'd say it might not like the lighting situation, by looking at the RBTA reaching for more light.
Turn the flow off and set the anemone on top of the rocks. See what happens.

Back
Top Bottom