Anemone Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munsterkins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a small bubble tip anemone in my tank for about 4 months, and It seemed to be doing fine, that is until I bought a hooded crab!

My LFS is notorious for having weird things, and me being easily persuaded, I bought this creepy looking thing. I believe its a hooded crab, I'll try and find a pic of it later, but anyway here is what happened...

It was about midnight and I was just about to turn off my lights when I noticed that creepy crab hunched over where my anemone was... He had picked it up and started EATING it! I was so disgusted and pissed :x because the lady at my LFS told me it WON'T harm anything....

After about 3 minutes of chomping all over my anemone, the crab dropped it and went away. I looked at my anemone and it was tore up pretty badly. :( I then decided to take the anemone out to save my other fish and the next day I took back the hooded crab and exchanged it for some blue legged hermits/ snails /live rock and braches. Now my tank is safe, i'd like to keep it that way!

**Does Anyone have CREEPY and or GROSS fish/inverts in their tank, that most people would think is very gross, that they would like to share, because that hooded crab was very sick**

That sucks! Where were your fearless clownfish to defend it? :)

Regarding creepies.. I have a horseshoe crab and he is pretty creepy.

I'm lucky....my clowns will nudge anything crawling on the sand away from their anemone....snails, hermits, bristle worms etc.

If the person at the lfs said it wouldn't hurt anything I would go back there and ask them to replace your anemone!

i think a hungry crab will eat anything he can...might have just been starving at the fish store...sorry about that man...that sucks

Sorry to hear about your anenome. I would bring this up to the LFS and see what they can do for you. Try to make a habbit of not adding anything to your tank before you run it past the good folks here.

is a hooded crab the same thing as an arrow crab? those look like they really tear up a tank!

good advice lando. i learned the hard way with a sandsifter with out running it by the people on this forum

steve r

i think just about everyone learns a lesson or two the hard way...although getting advice from here cuts back on those "lessons".

No doubt. Learning a few lessons the hard way is the reason I found this site.

hmm...hooded crab....I need to remember that. I had a damsel in my tank that I was trying to catch/get rid of and it was a pain in the neck. I had to take all my liverock out to catch it. Next time I'll just buy a baracuda, put a leash on it, and let it go in my tank after the damsel.

Back
Top Bottom