Anemone has algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knuckles23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been watching my BTA, white with purple tips, get darker over the last 3-4 weeks. The other one is perfectly white still. He appears healthy, and fully inflated when the lights are on. He doesnt look good colorwise though, he looks more brown with algae than anything. Is it because of his location? I figure that the clown would wear off this algae by rubbing against him, but not the case.. Any suggestions?

Heh, white = bad, brown = good :) Anemone's play host to zooxanthellae, which are symbiotic marine algae that are microscopic in size. The white anemone has expelled its zooxanthellae, which means that it is heavily stressed (probably from shipping/handling and possibly incorrect care before you were able to purchase it) and needs some time to re-cooperate. Keeping up on your water changes and offering sufficient lighting will aid in a faster recovery time. The brown anemone that you are worried about is actually regaining its health. Take a picture of the two, if you can :)

Back
Top Bottom