Anemone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisc0930

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought this anemone yesterday. I think it's a Conda, (at least that's what I was told). I placed it directly under my light where the maximum comes through but it moved underneath my rocks where there is more shade. More so, it stays hidden when my day light is on and it fully blooms when my black light is on. (The picture I included I switched from my black light to day light so you can see my anemone. Prior to the black light being on, it wasn't very inflated where as now it is). I was just curious because I was under the impression that condas require intense lighting but this one seems to like shade... Can anyone elaborate?

Attachments

• image-3333523405.jpg
    image-3333523405.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 96
Well, your anemone is extremely bleached. It does need intense lighting, but with it in that condition it would try to hide from it and slowly start to lean out so not to burn itself. What kind of lighting do you have?

My other concern is that anemone need pristine water to survive. Looking at the huge amount of algae floating around...that isn't being met. How long has this tank been set up? Can you give the parameters and what all is in it? I see things being set up more like a freshwater tank, with gravel and fake decorations, is doable but gives almost no area for the bacteria you need to grow on it so your tank can survive and the gravel will just trap material and cause parameter issues. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but I'd like to try to help you build up a successful tank.

Well, your anemone is extremely bleached. It does need intense lighting, but with it in that condition it would try to hide from it and slowly start to lean out so not to burn itself. What kind of lighting do you have?

My other concern is that anemone need pristine water to survive. Looking at the huge amount of algae floating around...that isn't being met. How long has this tank been set up? Can you give the parameters and what all is in it? I see things being set up more like a freshwater tank, with gravel and fake decorations, is doable but gives almost no area for the bacteria you need to grow on it so your tank can survive and the gravel will just trap material and cause parameter issues. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but I'd like to try to help you build up a successful tank.

No that's fine. I'm glad for the help! I have a marine land reef compatible led. (Yes I know of the negative stories behind that light, but is one has given me great success. I housed a carpet anemone the one that's shown in my avatar for two yrs, it grew quite large and I eventually got rid of it because it kept eating the clownfish that hosted it). All my parameters are good with the exception of my phosphates. I had an algae problem like this in the past and I managed to get rid of it all then it came back out of the blue. I'm working on ways to get it a handle on it till I can afford the water without phosphates. I have had my tank established for about 5 yrs. my led I know works well, but I don't think it would have the capability to heal a bleached anemone. From the touch its still very sticky and it feeds well. I asked my fish guy when I saw it if it was bleached and he said that's the color condas come in. Do I actually have a Conda anemone? I did look online and my research shows they come in all white which is the color of this one. Sometimes my pictures come out brighter than the actual color of what's in my tank due to the glare of the light.

Back
Top Bottom