Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

anemone help

Hi guys, so I bought a nem about 6 weeks ago now and out him in my tank that I've had running for 14 months. I do a great job keeping the Params pristine. Anyways I put him in there in a spot I liked and be looked beautiful and my clownfish hosted it almost immediately, maybe 2 days before it moved in, well the anemone moved in to a spot that I had within my rock work Where it wasn't getting much light and I couldn't see it anymore. So after about 3 weeks of this I moved the rock he attached to do I could see him and he then split and has looked like this ever since. Any ideas of what I can do to make him pretty again. I have the toatronics 120 watt led turned up to full intensity over a 20 gallon aquarium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_210852.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	204563  

Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20 View Post
Hi guys, so I bought a nem about 6 weeks ago now and out him in my tank that I've had running for 14 months. I do a great job keeping the Params pristine. Anyways I put him in there in a spot I liked and be looked beautiful and my clownfish hosted it almost immediately, maybe 2 days before it moved in, well the anemone moved in to a spot that I had within my rock work Where it wasn't getting much light and I couldn't see it anymore. So after about 3 weeks of this I moved the rock he attached to do I could see him and he then split and has looked like this ever since. Any ideas of what I can do to make him pretty again. I have the toatronics 120 watt led turned up to full intensity over a 20 gallon aquarium.
Probably getting to much light, I'd dim the leds down some. Anemones split due to stress, it looks pretty upset. Usually nems move to spots where they are happy, you can't place them, they will move. Id definitely dim the leds down and give it time to light adjust. Also saying your parameters are perfect doesn't help, it would be helpful to post them as something is definitely off.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also think too much light here - up to full on a 20g! most keep their Taos as low as 40% even lower sometimes. Try turning them down and see how it goes, it doesn't look happy
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Params are where I like to keep them for my tank, salinity at 1.025, calcium between 420-440 alkalinity between 9-10 ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates below 5ppm, phosphates at 0, ph at 8.4 and other trave elements get taken care of by weekly water changes. The lighting I slowly increased about 10% per week keeping the corals I keep happy. I was more concerned for any disease that the anemone could've gotten from this rather than knowing the light was too high
Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20 View Post
The Params are where I like to keep them for my tank, salinity at 1.025, calcium between 420-440 alkalinity between 9-10 ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates below 5ppm, phosphates at 0, ph at 8.4 and other trave elements get taken care of by weekly water changes. The lighting I slowly increased about 10% per week keeping the corals I keep happy. I was more concerned for any disease that the anemone could've gotten from this rather than knowing the light was too high
IMO the fact that it moved into an area with a lot less light shows it was to much light. I'd try and acclimate it to lower lightning then pump it slowly back up to 100%
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com