Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anemone help! please ~ urgent

hey everyone, it's my first time on here so im hoping i am posting in the right area..

on saturday i got myself a rose bubble tip anemone, the tank it came from (at the lfs) was under low lighting, i took it home and put it in my tank (with my actinics on) and he walked around (about 4 inches) then settled in, i then woke up in the morning on sunday and he had a big slime coming from his mouth, and he was tiny, so i immediatly turned my other t5 fixture on ( 1 x actinic t5 bulb and also a bl-bio t5 bulb) then he percd up, once he was looking better i moved it to a ledge on the other side of the tank where it has more potential hiding spots, then i turned on the light this morning and it was a bigger slime coming from it's mouth, it mouth is wide open, and his tenticals are pretty deflated :s - strange thing i got got another bubble tip on the same day and it is doing soooooo well!

please help me :s i think it's just adapting to the light, but it struggling..and i dont know what to do :S

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you need 2 anemones? Also, you're lighting is not enough to sustain the anemone unfortunately. You risk nuking your entire tank is it dies. That slime coming out of it's mouth could be it expelling it's zooanthellae that gives it it's energy.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Why do you need 2 anemones? Also, you're lighting is not enough to sustain the anemone unfortunately. You risk nuking your entire tank is it dies. That slime coming out of it's mouth could be it expelling it's zooanthellae that gives it it's energy.
Oh I didn't mention my entire lighting fixture, my tank is 180L, I have one fixture above that houses a 150Watt metal halide with 2 T5's on either side (actinics at the back and an actinic and BL-BIO) at the front. they are currently the only two things in the tank.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has the tank been setup? How tall is the tank? A 150w metal halide isn't really that strong.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

tank has been set up for about 6 months or so, and the tank is just under 2 foot tall. with my rock work going all the way to the surface. Im a full time marine aquarist by trade and deal with corals 5 days a week, thats why Im frustrated I cant find out why this anemone in particular isnt the happiest. I mean obviously i can position it on the rock work higher/lower accordingly, but at the end of the day it's a bubble-tip, they can move.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may just be adjusting to your aquarium and the lights and water chemistry. What are your phosphate/ nitrate levels?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yeah i think it may be acclimating to water quality, lighting, better flow rate, a few things all at once. my phosphate is .03 and my nitrate is 0

im considering moving it lower in the aquarium, and under some rock work to replicate the crappy lighting levels it came from, then it can acclimate to that, once stabilised it can venture out into more lighting at it own pace..
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah put it on the bottom and it could choose where it wants to go.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yeah think ill go and do that, cheers slither!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully it works out!

Tags
anemone, lighting, struggling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com