Anemone is sick i think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My anemone split not to long ago and everything was fine. Now it looks shrunken up. No matter what I would do the clownfish hosting it would never let it eat. It would take the food from it then spit it out at the other side of the tank. I keep the temp at 78 but for some reason the temp was at 74 when I woke up this morning. Ph 8.4 nitrate 0 nitrite under 20 phosphate 0. I have 2 t-5 HO lights that are 10,000 k. And one atinic. Here is a befor and after picture

fish are friends not food

What do you think? I have them at the vary vary top of the tank but they kept moving down

Attachments

• image-1140455683.jpg
    image-1140455683.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2483564617.jpg
    image-2483564617.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2720289653.jpg
    image-2720289653.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 118
Did you get the niTRIte and NiTRAte backwords? You should not have any nitrite reading, let alone ~20ppm.

It's close to 0 just not at 0. I just did a water change of 20% last night

Do you do regular water changes b/c my anemone wasn't looking so good and one water change and he went back to looking normal in a few days.

Well my anemone was looking pretty bad and I did a 25% and it recovered in a few days. I also add calcium/alkalinity solution when needed.

Anemones don't use calcium but I add it for my other corals. I was just telling you what I added.

Codyheitmiller said:
Oh, do leather corals use it?

All corals do

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

Problem is your lighting you want to double what you have at least. 2 t5's is not enough at all for these, there main source of food is through photosynthesis anything they gather from the water column is just a bonus, and judging from the colour of the rocks in the tank it looks like your setup is pretty new.

Nems split because they fear they will not last where they are so they make a clone of themselves to carry on with life. Tanks that are less than 6 months old should never have a nem in them as the tank is constantly changing even if we dont notice it on tests.

I would say double you light to 4 HOT5's asap if you want to keep nems.

It's 4 years old, the rocks died because they took 2 weeks to ship. Everything is fine now. Everything is at the top of the tank except my nem likes to be at the bottom

And I am getting more lights. I already knew about them. All of the LFS told me how I can keep them until I get lights. And the nem split probably due to stress from moving tanks

The nem are hard to see because there so far back and my phone sucks at taking pictures

Attachments

• image-1967586353.jpg
    image-1967586353.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2434829009.jpg
    image-2434829009.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1468517540.jpg
    image-1468517540.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 75
It's 4 years old, the rocks died because they took 2 weeks to ship. Everything is fine now. Everything is at the top of the tank except my nem likes to be at the bottom

the rocks are 4 years old or the tank is?

If the rocks "died" from shipping then they are not 4 years old, they are only a few weeks...

I wouldnt take anything the LFS says about fish or nem care very serious as I had a LFS want to sell me Lionfish because it was "safe" for my reef :rolleyes:, they are there to make a sale and get your cash then when something happens you go back and buy more.

Not all of them. Only a few but I got purple cordline on them so it's all good. And the person at one of them has studied marine biology

Back
Top Bottom