anemone looks sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

humbug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
please help. we brought anemone and it looks ok, but is producing white slimy stuff, it is now attached to live rock and our aqaurium is new, has been set up for a few days and we have all test kits except nitrite and nitrate, we have two brown clownfish, two humbugs and two domino damsils, and also have a clearer shrimp who, looks like he could also be dying, he shreaded his skin, he moves every so often but mostly lays on his back or side.
thank you.

Sorry to say, but this is not looking good. When you say the tank is a few days old, do you mean you set it up a few days ago or it has been set up for a few weeks and it finsihed cycling a few days ago? If this is a brand new tank are you familiar with the "cycling" process? Please post all of your water parameters...amonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, SG, Temp as well as the size of tank, substrate, any live rock, filrtration, and lighting. I am sure we could be a bigger help if we knew a bit more about your set up. Thanks...Lando

thanks everyone, but everything is fine now, we realised that he didnt want to move until the lights were out, but we lost our cleaner shrimp, our two brown clowns thought he would make a nice meal. but yes, we set it up a few days ago, and we did ask our 'fish shop' if we can add fish now or in a few days or weeks and they said that the damsels were quite hardy, which turns out that they are, and they had said that the anemone and cleaner shrimp will be ok too.
We know a bit but we dont know THAT much about the marine as we are lerning a lot more on our way.
As my parnter does all the testings I am not sure what they are, but when he comes home I will ask him to add this (as he is at work) but he did say that everything is correct, the salinity is correct, we check this every day, as we do everything else.
When we wish to get more fish we plan to move them into our 3 foot tank. can anyone recommend any fish that would go well with the ones we have?

A tanks should be established for a few months before adding any anemones or corals. What kinds of fish do you want? Aggressive or friendly?

Blue Chromis are easy and hearty...
Gobies, Blennies, Clowns....

we would like friendly fish, we're not really after anything like a lionfish as we would like to keep our fish, not a dear snack for the lion!!! hehehe :lol:

anenomes and corals IMO should not be added for at least six months. MAke the sure the tank is mature and established.

we have had our tank set up for less then a week
Your tank has not had time to cycle yet. You should NOT have any living thing in there, esp. inverts. Please see if the "fish store" will take the anemone back before it dies - it won't be long. I don't think your clowns killed your shrimp. The shrimp may have died and then they ate him.
Take some time and read the great articles on this site at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2 particularly How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.
and they had said that the anemone and cleaner shrimp will be ok too.
This is a good reason to find another LFS. Sounds like very poor advice.

Welcome to AA 8)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if this tanks is less than a week old and you already added all that livestock you may not have very many survivors. A tank has to go through a cycling process. You can look through the forum here and find alot of information about the cycle process.
I suggest you take the anemone and the fish back to the store you got them from. Except for the damsels which MAY survive the cycle process, these other fish and the anemone will almost certainly die.

i would return the anenome emididatly if the fish store will let you. That is very bad. Like everyone else said your tank has not cycled yet.

thanks for your help guys, dont wont the poor little things to die, maybe the shop can hold them for us becuase we really want these fish.
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom