Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anemone Not doing so good! need some advice!

I have a bubble tip anemone and i have had it for about a month along with my Clarkii clown Fish. At First my anemone seemed to be doing really well. I noticed about a week ago it appeared to be not doing so well, it was smaller and barely moving. i checked my tank for anything that would be off but everything was right on! i figured my anemone would bounce back in a few days but i watched it closely and then noticed that one of the new rock i had gotten was squishing my anemone. so i got the rock of my anemone and moved it to a spot to recover. My anemone spent all day yesturday and part of today basicly face down in the sand. i moved him again and to an open spot in my tank where there isnt much rock and he is semi clinging to a rock. My Clarkii has been trying to feed his anemone and it doesnt seem to be eatting.. Im abit worried. This is my first anemone.

Will it recover? Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What kind of lighting do you have? Also when you say all parameters are OK how about posting some hard numbers.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have Actinic Lighting. My Paramaters are Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Salanity 34, Ph 83, Amonia 0.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

What do you mean actinic lighting? PC, T5, MH? How big, how many watts? What is your salinity/specific gravity should be 1.023ish. Did you really take those levels? or are you assuming. Even pretty established systems have a small amount of nitrates.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Also are you using a liquid test kit or test strips?
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i feel really dumb right now...

As For the lighting it came with my tank according to the label near the lights 2 bulbs floresent. 18 Watts each. T8 type lights.... other then that i dont know what PC, T5, and MC are...

As for the readingson my tank, no i didnt make them up i took them about 2 hour ago. and i use water form the tank and mix it with a powder to get my readings. depending on the shad of the color will tell me what my levels are. Im sure its not Accurate but its came with my starter kit when i bout the tank! if i would have had bad nitrate my test would have orange looking and it was clear... and my Nitrite it would have been a redish color and that too stayed clear. so if there are any traces of nitrate and nitrite my test doesnt detect them...

Im new at this i have only had my tank for about 5 months and so far everything has been great.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Its dying because they need alot of light. Starter tank lights are not enough light
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep. He needs light, Your lighting isn't enough to keep him happy so he'll slowly perish, If he hasn't already.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That sucks. Thank you everyone... Did so well for the first 3 1/2 weeks. Im sad now....
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bad lighting and an immature tank are your problems. You are overstocked with fish, 5 damsels is too many to begin with, clarkiis get too big for a 29g, and your urchin shouldn't have been added until the tank was at least a year old. Your blenny and shrimp are fine, everything else, I would consider taking back to your LFS, doing some research, and restock with 2-3 small fish max (including your blenny), maybe 1 or 2 more once the tank is mature (8+ months). Most of this is just my opinion though, your tank, your choice.

Upgrade your lighting to a T5 High Output (HO) or Metal Halide (MH) if you plan on keeping coral, or even farther down the road, anemones. I would grab a new test kit suck as API or Salifert because the supplies you get in starter kits are usually not of good quality. Get a refractometer if you are using a hydrometer for salinity/SG as they are a lot more accurate.

Hope I helped.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com