Anemone Not doing so good! need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haley_K

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a bubble tip anemone and i have had it for about a month along with my Clarkii clown Fish. At First my anemone seemed to be doing really well. I noticed about a week ago it appeared to be not doing so well, it was smaller and barely moving. i checked my tank for anything that would be off but everything was right on! i figured my anemone would bounce back in a few days but i watched it closely and then noticed that one of the new rock i had gotten was squishing my anemone. so i got the rock of my anemone and moved it to a spot to recover. My anemone spent all day yesturday and part of today basicly face down in the sand. i moved him again and to an open spot in my tank where there isnt much rock and he is semi clinging to a rock. My Clarkii has been trying to feed his anemone and it doesnt seem to be eatting.. Im abit worried. This is my first anemone.

Will it recover? Any suggestions?

What kind of lighting do you have? Also when you say all parameters are OK how about posting some hard numbers.

What do you mean actinic lighting? PC, T5, MH? How big, how many watts? What is your salinity/specific gravity should be 1.023ish. Did you really take those levels? or are you assuming. Even pretty established systems have a small amount of nitrates.

i feel really dumb right now...

As For the lighting it came with my tank according to the label near the lights 2 bulbs floresent. 18 Watts each. T8 type lights.... other then that i dont know what PC, T5, and MC are... :(

As for the readingson my tank, no i didnt make them up i took them about 2 hour ago. and i use water form the tank and mix it with a powder to get my readings. depending on the shad of the color will tell me what my levels are. Im sure its not Accurate but its came with my starter kit when i bout the tank! if i would have had bad nitrate my test would have orange looking and it was clear... and my Nitrite it would have been a redish color and that too stayed clear. so if there are any traces of nitrate and nitrite my test doesnt detect them...

Im new at this i have only had my tank for about 5 months and so far everything has been great.

Its dying because they need alot of light. Starter tank lights are not enough light

Bad lighting and an immature tank are your problems. You are overstocked with fish, 5 damsels is too many to begin with, clarkiis get too big for a 29g, and your urchin shouldn't have been added until the tank was at least a year old. Your blenny and shrimp are fine, everything else, I would consider taking back to your LFS, doing some research, and restock with 2-3 small fish max (including your blenny), maybe 1 or 2 more once the tank is mature (8+ months). Most of this is just my opinion though, your tank, your choice.

Upgrade your lighting to a T5 High Output (HO) or Metal Halide (MH) if you plan on keeping coral, or even farther down the road, anemones. I would grab a new test kit suck as API or Salifert because the supplies you get in starter kits are usually not of good quality. Get a refractometer if you are using a hydrometer for salinity/SG as they are a lot more accurate.

Hope I helped.

It is sad but also ok. Learn from it and your tank will be ok. In salt water all animals have diffrent care requirements that are needed to make them thrive. Research before you buy so you know what its going to take to keep everything going.

I think the fact that your sad is a good things. Means you care. And thats a great thing

Back
Top Bottom