Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to chasbun75
Anemone Problems

8O Hi i'm having some problems and would like to know if anyone can help. I introduced a bulb anemone and rose anemone. The thing is they started out just fine 3 days and everything was fine but after they didnt seem to open as much, i have fluorescent and halide lamps. After some days they completely lost all their tentacles but they didnt die and continued eating. But they did the same thing in different time lapses. The salinity is 1.023 no ammonia, no nitrates, and ph is 8.1. I have a protein skimmer and wet dry filtration. i thought that maybe the water need a little more movement so i put in a powerhead that really creates a good current but any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

chasbun75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
HOw often do you feed the anemones? From what I've gathered from reading, youre only supposed to feed the anemones once or twice a week through dedicated feeding. Meaning offering it food by squirting it near it's mouth. My Long tentacle anemone acts the same way, it ; looks most inflated during the day and shrink in the early evening till the morning.

Amemones are also 99 percent water. If the anemone looks like it's withering away, then it is most likely not happy with the water. They love some trace elements and calcium too from what i've read..

HTH, ANyone, welcome to correct me if im wrong.

65 Gal Marine
60lbs of LS and 100lbs of LR
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also, you forgot the most important thing nesessary for anemones (outside of good water quality)....what is your lighting (and tank size)? anemones need strong reef type lighting...
hey half the fun is dreaming it up!
srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have fluorescent and halide lamps.
fireman26m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I ordered my BTA they warned not to blast them with too much light or they will hide. I don't know whats too much, but is that also a possibility?
Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com