Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anemone question

I can't say that my rtba is sick but it is loosing it's color. It eats like a pig and it still looks healthy but, over the course of a couple of months, has faded to a very, very pale pink. I have it rather high in my tank and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I have T5 HO lighting. I tested my water last night and it is ok (except for CA is a little low at 360).

I'm at work currently so I don't have close up picture but you can see it in this link. It's directly below the blue tuxedo urchin.

Do you think I should be concerned or just leave it alone?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you actually feed the RBTA or does it get food form feeding time for the fish? If your RBTA isn't happy where it is it will move. Mine is about 4" below the surface directly under a 175w MH bulb. You really don't need to feed an anemone, they get what they need from the lighting and when you feed your fish. When I first got mine I fed it once or twice a week just because it was so tiny and bleached out. I haven't fed it since the first month and it seems to be doing very well. I would say if the tentacles are extended and full it is probably happy. Im sure others will chime in.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I actually feed it about every 5 days. I'll feed small pieces of raw shrimp or raw scallops......I just can't do the silversides....they creep me out. Like I said, it seems to be doing good except for the coloring. I thought perhaps because I had it too close to the lighting. It took it a while to find a spot it was happy in and it hasn't moved in months.

It sounds like I just need to leave it alone.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would say that you shuold leave it alone and stop feeding it. It should get what it needs from the light and what you feed the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In a nutshell that is what I would do for now. If things change and it starts withdrawing and not opening up then you may want to look at doing something. The thing with anemones is they can and will move if they don't like where they are.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com