Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anemone won't settle

My anemone was doing good up to say ten days ago where he started to move around same as yours. I am sure that the light and water para is not what causing this problem as I have another two settled in one place and happy. So I dig up to glass, and put him there with a light weight on top of him to make sure that he will not move. After couple of ours I took out the weight and he is in his place since yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417267063.042249.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	256881

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's not a good practice to restrict an anemone by putting a weight on top of it. I would highly suggest against this. Instead I would figure out what it doesn't like about your tank. Trust me, there's something. If your test kits aren't telling you anything, then get new test kits. Not API test kits. Salifert makes good test kits.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seabay anemone won't settle :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It's not a good practice to restrict an anemone by putting a weight on top of it. I would highly suggest against this. Instead I would figure out what it doesn't like about your tank. Trust me, there's something. If your test kits aren't telling you anything, then get new test kits. Not API test kits. Salifert makes good test kits.

Well, after 24 hours, mine popped out again and what I did before was useless after all. I agree that restricting the anemone is not a good practice but I had to do this to avoid another problem which getting a sting by another coral or a cloud of poison from this stressed anemone.

Honestly, I don't know what is the problem. I have API testing kit too and everything is 0. I am definitely buying another testing kit but until then, what shall I do with this problem? I have another two anemone that settled in one place and seems happy. So am saying if there is a problem in either the light or the water para, they will show any sign of stress, Right?

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time
Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They don't necessarily poison things when they are stressed. They do have a sting when they touch things however, and roaming around may not be the best thing for the other corals. Generally, if one anemone is doing well, the other should be also. What are the other anemones you have?How long have you had them and what lighting/flow etc are they in?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
They don't necessarily poison things when they are stressed. They do have a sting when they touch things however, and roaming around may not be the best thing for the other corals. Generally, if one anemone is doing well, the other should be also. What are the other anemones you have?How long have you had them and what lighting/flow etc are they in?

Here is one Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417366944.767844.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	256987

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417366977.913669.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	256988

I believe this one got sting

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417367059.756080.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	256989

This is the stressed one. I think he is dying as i saw his tips falling down. Two days ago he was moving around and got in contact with the red one which disturb his peace and made him to change location.

Today I tested NO3 using SERA and SeaTeast

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417367555.898091.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	256991

Yesterday I did four testing using API and sera for ammonia

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417367638.247720.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	256992

Flow is gentile and light is 54*4 T5 from 5pm to 12am and 2 metal halide from 6pm to 10pm.

Temperature is between 27.7c to 28.8c.

Is there anything shall I add to give better picture?

========

Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417368087.415076.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	256993

This the results of ammonia using sera and api

========

Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never seen anemones sting each other, just corals and fish. If that's what you are saying happened, I think you need to keep looking. The clownfish could be beating it up.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anemone won't settle

Quote:
I have never seen anemones sting each other, just corals and fish. If that's what you are saying happened, I think you need to keep looking. The clownfish could be beating it up.

Well am not sure if they sting each other. Am guessing this because after they touched each other, the one that is settled in one place for more almost 3 months, change his location

========

Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with X about the clown beating the hell out of it , my clown did this to my long tentacle nem almost a month than the nem decided to shrink real tiny and wedge itself between two rocks , when I first seen the nem shrink I thought it was dieing , now he is fully inflated and happy , my clowns finally learned to get along with the nem , now my condys they never sit still everyday they are in different spots but at least they stay attatched after there short journey .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com