Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok ok, I gave in to the sad little clown and purchased a BTA (Rose colored) Everyone seemed to agree they are the hardiest and most tolerable. So, I dropped it in my tank after about a 4 hr drip acclimation. Next day (as usual) happy. Day after, its all mouth (Kinda like the wife..), yet perked up later that evening. Today, sorta of the same. Seems to perk up as the day progresses. Having done my homework, my reading has told me that they should not appear to be all shriveled up with the mouth wide open. However, I could not garner any info on if the tips stay..well...bubbly all the time. Acclimation blues or is it gonna croak? Opinions, odds, bets?

Thanks,
-PC

I'm not an authority on anemones..but mine opens, shrivels up, gets really LARGE, then really small...I've given up being concerned. He's just moody. I'm sure mine is OK.

PC said:
Day after, its all mouth (Kinda like the wife..), yet perked up later that evening.

Have you fed it anything? If so, did it take the food OK? My guess is it'll take a few days for it to get happy. Anemones are difficult to keep...even the "easy" ones.
Anyway, if your wife sees the above quote, the anemone will be the least of your worries...you might be it's next meal 8O :D .

From what I have read, with proper lighting, they are just as happy. I did plan on buying some 'cocktail' shrimp from the store (frozen shrimp) for myself and I figured I could dice up some for the BTA. However, I wasn't really looking for another mouth to feed, rather something that would be ok with just photosynthesis. If feeding is a must I believe chopped clam, mysis shrimp is the preferred anemone food. As a side note he has not packed up and moved around so my guess is, and its just a guess at this point based on research, he is happy with his lighting/placement and water flow. As for the 'condition' every night, I think last night for some unknown reason (As always) my heaters (2 of them) allowed the tank to drop to 77.5 degrees. Its normally a steady 81. (Does ANYONE make a reliable heater!) Anyhow, I was just worried the little critter was going to plop over dead. I have not lost anything in my tank that I started with or purchased (Come close a time or two) and I thought that might be the end of my good luck..

Thanks!
-PC

I have a small anemone that appeared out of nowhere. It hitchiked with my LR. It looks like a small carpet anemone. It was shriveled up, and kept moving spots for a week or two. It has finally opened up, and stays in one spot. I target fed it some frozen squid, and he ate like a champ. Looks like he's one happy little guy.

My bta always looks to be on deaths door the day after a feeding. He gets 1 silverside once a week. He never has bubbles and is a little limp looking day to day. Especially today since I had to extract him from my overflow last night. Really looked dead then, but seems to have recovered.

pc mine are not bubbly all the time mostly bubbly in the am and as the day goes on streaches to the light i have cut back on the feedings to once every week or 2 the clowns do a pretty decent job of handling it for me as long as the piece is small enough for them they take it there if the mouth is not gaping all the time it is probably fine and i would take it as a good sign that it settled in and has not moved :)
could you post us a pic?

This is day 5. The clown started warming up to it day 2. You can see just off to the side the piece of base rock it came on. To my suprise this morning it had moved off of it. The clown is very protective of it running to it even when I approach the tank. He even chased off my CBS which is the tough guy of the tank earlier..

Flake food and such. Actually ole Nemo there seems to steal food as do some of the other fish. I think I will probably get some shrimp for myslf at the gettin' place and feed it a little, just to see. This eve the anemone has moved right back to his original spot and is a lot larger than he was even in the store. I am hoping he'll split in time for me to add to my new prop tank. I think it would be a blast to have a piece of him up here with me too. Overall, I'd say in 5 days, he's 'bout as happy as he's gonna get.

looks good from the pics to me thanks for posting them think you can just relax and enjoy him now :)

Back
Top Bottom