Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think its the Majano that sounds like it I do have a green mushroom in there. I think my lights suck. As things don't shimmer like I have seen in other tanks

Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
... I was told to take it out cause I have live rock and sand. ...
Wow. Really bad advice from the LFS.

Carbon and live rock/sand serve two completely different functions. Live rock/sand serves as your biological filtration, housing the bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrates. Carbon is chemical filtration that serves to suck out chemical compounds that you don't necessarily want in your water. Most folks with reef tanks will run carbon constantly, to deal with the chemicals that corals are constantly putting out there as a form of "warfare", and to keep the water as pristine as possible.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #23

ok so what about the white filter that is in with the carbon>>>ummmm biological filter material sits underneath carbon filter material
Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
Thanx but no.....

Majano: That's what I thought it looked like. I've been lucky, never had any. So I'm asking as a question, not a statement......

Do they tend to 'annoy' other anenomes? Causing them stress or to look for other suitable locations?

Either way, pretty sure he should be ' outta here'
Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK... so it sounds like you cycled the tank with the clowns. Are those the fish you mentioned that died? Or did you take the clowns back to the LFS after the tank cycled? Just trying to figure out the history of the tank to see if there's anything else that might be causing issues...

If it's a Majano... you don't want it. Majano anemones usually come in as hitchikers on live rock, and are quite prolific. Those and aiptasia anemones can grow and take over a tank pretty quick. That picture is too distant to really see what it is you actually have there though. I wouldn't do anything until you can get a positive ID on the thing. If it IS a majano, your other anemone just might not be too happy with it's neighbor and between that and the melafix is just not having a really good time in your tank.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Thanx but no.....

based on what you have, it's just a bag to hold the carbon at this point and provide some mechanical filtration. Not sure how much you dosed but I'd run a good amount for a good amount of time. Maybe even consider a good sized PWC too
Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
Thanx but no.....

I feel a vulcan mind meld
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #28

REALLY?! I bought it. It was in the coral display tank. I know there is one that is not good and can get out of control. I should find the exact name. Its stuck on that rock how do you get it off if I do need to get it out? oh my head is spinning!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
ok so what about the white filter that is in with the carbon>>>ummmm biological filter material sits underneath carbon filter material
I'm not familiar with the RedSea unit you have, so I'm not really sure what you have in there as far as filter pads. But the carbon we're all talking about isn't a pad, but tiny little chunks of "activated charcoal" that is then put in a flow through media bag and put in a flow path somewhere. You then change out the carbon every couple weeks or so.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
Thanx but no.....

What Kurt said, I think I made an assumption about your setup.

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com