Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I feel a vulcan mind meld
I'll be dropping out in a minute anyway... lunch hour is just about over!

Regarding getting rid of it, the easiest way would be to just get rid of the rock - assuming the rock is small. If not, then you get rid of them the same way you get rid of aiptasia. Do a search here on "aiptasia" and you'll find tons of posts. Joe's Juice seems popular, but a homemade paste mixture of kalkwasser and saltwater works good too.

I've never seen anyone try and sell a majano, so I'm kinda thinking that's not the case. But hey... there's always a first time for everything!

[Edit: I just looked at your tank pic again - unfortunately, that rock doesn't look "small" and looks like it's the foundation of a lot of your rockwork. Hmmmph. You might want to get a better/closer picture of that "thing" and post it in our ID subforum. Also... even though it's starting to sound like the anemone isn't happy due to chemical issues (melafix/neighboring "thing"), I also agree with a comment someone made really early on: I don't think you have enough lighting on that tank (assuming it's stock lighting) for an anemone to be really happy.]

Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok... whats a PWC? No all my clowns died. Yes I think it is a majano. She mentioned both names it one or the other. I know for sure I bought it for $9 Can.
Ok I will toss it how do I get it to release from the rock? After the clowns died I waited a few weeks then added the clean up crew (hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp, (oh crap, forgot to mention) a scooter blenny as I had so much green grass stuff on the rocks. they cleaned it up in no time. Then waited a few more weeks and got the Yellow Tang. Then waited again and tried to add two small clowns and tiny blue tang. Then blue tang I thought was dead but apparently wasn't and clowns died. Those ones traveled for 4 hours to get to me the other was only a hour away. The clowns where so stressed and died. Blue tang still alive but has faint white spots and not very bright looking (color wise). I have gotten my fish from two different dealers. One dealer hour away seems to have healthy fish and not good advice other is 4 hours and the fish dont seem to survive and is very helpful.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on when the clowns died, you may have never really cycled the tank. Were you watching the ammonia and nitrite levels during that time period? Did they rise, then fall back to zero, indicating that the cycle was over?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
Thanx but no.....

PWC=partial water change.

Also, the 'few week' wait after they died probably killed off what bacteria you had built up in there thru the cycle/partial cycle and put you back to the beginning. If that's all the fish that were in there to start with
Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #35
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just reading this thread I guess you really never cycled your tank. I dont see anywhere that you did but maybe I missed it. It looks like the clowns died because of the heavy ammonia that occurs during the cycle. It`s stressing your blue tang which is why it seems like he has ich. These faint white spots are like salt grains on the fish?This article should help as far as how to do the cycle and what it means.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

Nobody`s thinking bad about you we are just trying to help you out with some sound advice which is what you have not been getting from your LFS. They should never had sold you those two tangs for that size tank. If my assumption about the ick is correct then you`ll need to QT the fish and treat and then your tank will need to be fishless for 8 weeks. BTW PWC means "partial water change". IMO you`re going have problems with those two tangs in that size tank. I`ve seen it over and over again. Here is some links on the parasite if that`s what it is.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Whew, I'm glads you guys are on this, I'm lost!
BTW, I have seen on LFS sell mojanos (don't ask me why)....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #37

I do appreciate all the advice you are all giving me. I guess I have some things to do with this tank of mine. As for the Majano. I dont live close by to a shop so is there a way I can get that thing off the rock?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kalkwasser is nothing but "pickling lime" sold in the canning section of the grocery store. If you mix it up into a pastelike solution with saltwater and using a syringe, shoot it into the open mouth of the majano, it will kill it. Don't get it on anything else you don't want to kill. Whatever you do, don't try to scrape or peel it off. You'll just end up with more of them.

Some majanos I've seen are actually quite pretty, so I guess I can see why someone would sell them. It's the fact that they can reproduce like rabbits (especially in a nutrient-rich, just started tank) that make them evil.

[Edit: Here's a good post about using pickling lime...

Mixing Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's the stuff I use!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #40

Kalkwasser? You use that Scott?

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com