anenome problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think its the Majano that sounds like it I do have a green mushroom in there. I think my lights suck. As things don't shimmer like I have seen in other tanks

... I was told to take it out cause I have live rock and sand. ...

Wow. Really bad advice from the LFS.

Carbon and live rock/sand serve two completely different functions. Live rock/sand serves as your biological filtration, housing the bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrates. Carbon is chemical filtration that serves to suck out chemical compounds that you don't necessarily want in your water. Most folks with reef tanks will run carbon constantly, to deal with the chemicals that corals are constantly putting out there as a form of "warfare", and to keep the water as pristine as possible.

ok so what about the white filter that is in with the carbon>>>ummmm biological filter material sits underneath carbon filter material

Majano: That's what I thought it looked like. I've been lucky, never had any. So I'm asking as a question, not a statement......

Do they tend to 'annoy' other anenomes? Causing them stress or to look for other suitable locations?

Either way, pretty sure he should be ' outta here'

OK... so it sounds like you cycled the tank with the clowns. Are those the fish you mentioned that died? Or did you take the clowns back to the LFS after the tank cycled? Just trying to figure out the history of the tank to see if there's anything else that might be causing issues...

If it's a Majano... you don't want it. Majano anemones usually come in as hitchikers on live rock, and are quite prolific. Those and aiptasia anemones can grow and take over a tank pretty quick. That picture is too distant to really see what it is you actually have there though. I wouldn't do anything until you can get a positive ID on the thing. If it IS a majano, your other anemone just might not be too happy with it's neighbor and between that and the melafix is just not having a really good time in your tank.

based on what you have, it's just a bag to hold the carbon at this point and provide some mechanical filtration. Not sure how much you dosed but I'd run a good amount for a good amount of time. Maybe even consider a good sized PWC too

REALLY?! I bought it. It was in the coral display tank. I know there is one that is not good and can get out of control. I should find the exact name. Its stuck on that rock how do you get it off if I do need to get it out? oh my head is spinning!!!

ok so what about the white filter that is in with the carbon>>>ummmm biological filter material sits underneath carbon filter material

I'm not familiar with the RedSea unit you have, so I'm not really sure what you have in there as far as filter pads. But the carbon we're all talking about isn't a pad, but tiny little chunks of "activated charcoal" that is then put in a flow through media bag and put in a flow path somewhere. You then change out the carbon every couple weeks or so.

I feel a vulcan mind meld

:lol: I'll be dropping out in a minute anyway... lunch hour is just about over!

Regarding getting rid of it, the easiest way would be to just get rid of the rock - assuming the rock is small. If not, then you get rid of them the same way you get rid of aiptasia. Do a search here on "aiptasia" and you'll find tons of posts. Joe's Juice seems popular, but a homemade paste mixture of kalkwasser and saltwater works good too.

I've never seen anyone try and sell a majano, so I'm kinda thinking that's not the case. But hey... there's always a first time for everything!

[Edit: I just looked at your tank pic again - unfortunately, that rock doesn't look "small" and looks like it's the foundation of a lot of your rockwork. Hmmmph. You might want to get a better/closer picture of that "thing" and post it in our ID subforum. Also... even though it's starting to sound like the anemone isn't happy due to chemical issues (melafix/neighboring "thing"), I also agree with a comment someone made really early on: I don't think you have enough lighting on that tank (assuming it's stock lighting) for an anemone to be really happy.]

ok... whats a PWC? No all my clowns died. Yes I think it is a majano. She mentioned both names it one or the other. I know for sure I bought it for $9 Can.
Ok I will toss it how do I get it to release from the rock? After the clowns died I waited a few weeks then added the clean up crew (hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp, (oh crap, forgot to mention) a scooter blenny as I had so much green grass stuff on the rocks. they cleaned it up in no time. Then waited a few more weeks and got the Yellow Tang. Then waited again and tried to add two small clowns and tiny blue tang. Then blue tang I thought was dead but apparently wasn't and clowns died. Those ones traveled for 4 hours to get to me the other was only a hour away. The clowns where so stressed and died. Blue tang still alive but has faint white spots and not very bright looking (color wise). I have gotten my fish from two different dealers. One dealer hour away seems to have healthy fish and not good advice other is 4 hours and the fish dont seem to survive and is very helpful.

Depending on when the clowns died, you may have never really cycled the tank. Were you watching the ammonia and nitrite levels during that time period? Did they rise, then fall back to zero, indicating that the cycle was over?

PWC=partial water change.

Also, the 'few week' wait after they died probably killed off what bacteria you had built up in there thru the cycle/partial cycle and put you back to the beginning. If that's all the fish that were in there to start with

Just reading this thread I guess you really never cycled your tank. I dont see anywhere that you did but maybe I missed it. It looks like the clowns died because of the heavy ammonia that occurs during the cycle. It`s stressing your blue tang which is why it seems like he has ich. These faint white spots are like salt grains on the fish?This article should help as far as how to do the cycle and what it means.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Nobody`s thinking bad about you we are just trying to help you out with some sound advice which is what you have not been getting from your LFS. They should never had sold you those two tangs for that size tank. If my assumption about the ick is correct then you`ll need to QT the fish and treat and then your tank will need to be fishless for 8 weeks. BTW PWC means "partial water change". IMO you`re going have problems with those two tangs in that size tank. I`ve seen it over and over again. Here is some links on the parasite if that`s what it is.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Whew, I'm glads you guys are on this, I'm lost!
BTW, I have seen on LFS sell mojanos (don't ask me why)....

I do appreciate all the advice you are all giving me. I guess I have some things to do with this tank of mine. As for the Majano. I dont live close by to a shop so is there a way I can get that thing off the rock?

Kalkwasser is nothing but "pickling lime" sold in the canning section of the grocery store. If you mix it up into a pastelike solution with saltwater and using a syringe, shoot it into the open mouth of the majano, it will kill it. Don't get it on anything else you don't want to kill. Whatever you do, don't try to scrape or peel it off. You'll just end up with more of them.

Some majanos I've seen are actually quite pretty, so I guess I can see why someone would sell them. It's the fact that they can reproduce like rabbits (especially in a nutrient-rich, just started tank) that make them evil.

[Edit: Here's a good post about using pickling lime...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/mixing-mrs-wages-pickling-lime-115997.html

Back
Top Bottom