Anenome trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I turned the lights on this morning to find my powerhead had fallen in the night in the middle of my anenome. Its a pink tip condy. It looks like some of the tenacles have been cut off. The anenome is still sttached to a rock but the problem is it has been in the same place for about a year and its sucked down INTO a peice of LR. In other words its foot is inside the LR. What should I do?
I began running carbon this morning and will do a water change tonight. I did a nitrite test and so far nothing. The tank is fishless as Im treating them for ick. I do have 175 lbs lf LR and 3 shrimp and a few soft corals.
I assume I need to do a water change and continue to run carbon. But what should I do about the anenome? i thought about putting it in a bucket with a heater and powerhead by itself in case it dies. Only thing is it wont have any light. But I dont want it to die in my tank either.
Thanks

If it's just tentacle damage it should recover just fine, water specs depending. The only time it would meltdown otherwise is if the foot was damaged or the oral disc was badly torn. I would not suggest moving it.

A few more water changes and some fresh carbon every few days and it should be back to normal quite quickly. Tentacle damage seems to repair itself in no time.

Cheers
Steve

Well I disconnected the little screen that is on the end of the powerhead to give it a chance to release it. I cant even see the mouth though. It got sucked way up in the prefilter. I was going to give it until tonight to see what happens.
When will my levels (ammonia and such) start to build...in other words how soon will I know if it is dieing? I had rather exit it and the rock from the tank than lose my shrimp and corals. Maybe I will try and take a pic this afternoon.

This sounds like a rather large tank and running carbon should do the trick.The anemone will heal up pretty quick.

I came and inspected. All but 3 of its tenacles are torn, shredded or gone. However I dont see to many peices in the tank. Its mouth and body appear ok. I tested the water and all is ok. It is still alive as the cleaner shrimp is always next to it and when it touches the anenome, it retracts. Should I still leave it?
Also how long does it take one to die and what should I look for? I do have a 10 gallon tank standing by with heater and light in the event it even looks like its going south. Will try and post a pic tonight.

fishman said:
Its mouth and body appear ok. I tested the water and all is ok. It is still alive as the cleaner shrimp is always next to it and when it touches the anenome, it retracts. Should I still leave it?
Leave it be, moving it will definately do it in. Keep an eye on that shrimp though. If it picks at the anemone, remove the shrimp or the anemones a gonner.

Also how long does it take one to die and what should I look for? I do have a 10 gallon tank standing by with heater and light in the event it even looks like its going south. Will try and post a pic tonight.
As I said, don't move the anemone. If you do, it's done. If dieing, it will melt down quite quickly (turn to goo) or expell it's gut and linger for a few days. Either way, there'll be no mistaking it.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
I have been watching the anenome and I was wrong. Its mouth is even damaged pretty badly. I dont know if I did right or wrong, but I moved it. I just dont see how it can live. Its a mess - bad mess. Plus the shrimp is picking at it as well and I had rather lose the $6 anenome than move a shrimp or mess my main tank up real bad. What makes it so bad is the anenome is sucked way down into the rock its ok. I expect it to die-dont want it to but I dont think there is a way around it. So I put the rock and everything in a 10 gallon bucket with a light and powerhead as well as a heater. I appreciate the advice but its looking worse as time goes on. I just want to protect my tank.... :(

If the oral disc was as badly damaged as you say, it wouldn't have mattered if you moved it or not. As I said earlier, a damaged foot or badly damaged oral disc will often result in death. You'll just have to play wait and see for now. Just be sure to monitor the water quality in the QT bucket.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
I have been watching it closely. Its still alive and looks better as the days go on. Also I have a 75 watt "spot light" (not really as its not that bright and is an energy saver) on it. Its still attached to the rock it was on. I am doing about 1/2 to 1 gallon water changes each daily along with adding vitamin C. Plus I have a very small powerhead in there as well. I am thinking that if it is still alive in the next 3-4 days, wouldnt I be ok in assuming it will live and move it back to the main tank? This happened on Fri so it will be 3 days on Monday.
Thanks for the responses. I was sure it was going to die as it was BADLY mangeled!

If it seems to be showing signs of recovering, I'd leave it be for now. If the oral disc was as badly damaged as you say, I'm very suprised it's still alive. Placing it back could shock it and/or make it easy prey for the shrimp in the tank. If it seems fine for now, wait for the injuries to heal a bit more before you decide to move it.

Watch the vitamin C additions in such a small holding tank. They will adversely affect pH if too much. Still a good addition, just be careful. I would also suggest some mysys or other small meaty foods soaked in Selcon once or twice a week to aid in the tissue regeneration. Be very mindful of water quality and remove any uneaten foods. If it regains full stature, don't just cut the feedings. Wein the anemone off the foods slowly over several months. Abruptly stopping the feedings will stress the anemone and should be done so slowly.

Cheers
Steve

When you say the oral disc, your referring to the mouth area? If so, I think what I was seeeing when it was in the main tank was everything in the middle part of the anenome was drawn up so to speak. Since going in the hospital tank, its stretched back out and the mouth area is fine. It was really hard to tell what was what when it was first injured. I may get a larger container for it so there is more water volumn.
How can it eat if it only has 6-8 small tenacles? Doesnt it use the tenacles to draw in the food? man what a mess I have gotten into on this...arg!

fishman said:
When you say the oral disc, your referring to the mouth area? If so, I think what I was seeeing when it was in the main tank was everything in the middle part of the anenome was drawn up so to speak. Since going in the hospital tank, its stretched back out and the mouth area is fine. It was really hard to tell what was what when it was first injured.
The oral disc is the area surrounding the mouth. Basically looking like the "flower" of a sunflower plant if you will. Sounds like what you saw was more so a stress reaction from the anemone and it was extruding the gut. That and bits of it's tentacles.

How can it eat if it only has 6-8 small tenacles? Doesnt it use the tenacles to draw in the food? man what a mess I have gotten into on this...arg!
It may not be able to as yet but I would give it a try. Turn off all the water moving apparatus for a short time when you try. Gentley place the food on the mouth opening without forcing it. It might take a few attempts over several days. If it doesn't eventually accept the foods then recovery will take that much longer. Had it only been a few tentacles, this would have been a walk in the park.

Even if the disc isn't that damaged, I would wait on moving it as long as you can. When it does eventually get re-introduced to the main, it's chances will be that much better.

Cheers
Steve

Ok...yes the oral disc was not damaged. Its all intact. And as time goes on I am seeing more and more tenacles...I think there are about 10-12 that are still longer... the rest are nubs.
Ok I will wait on moving it again. I think i will get a bigger tub than the 10 gallon. Plus I may get one more light for it as well. Will keep you posted...
Thanks again for the help

Steve
I fed the anenome the night before with mysis and he sucked it right up. Last night I decided to try and feed him a small peice of krill like I have done in the past. (before he got sucked up in the PH) and he ate it just fine. He looks better this morning and his tenacles are not all drawn up so it looks like its working. Hes still in the 10 gallon rubbermaid on a 10 lb peice of LR so I have the needed bacteria for sure in there. PH is stable. I do 2 large cup water changes a day from my main into his tank...seems to be working. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
Also I have a small powerhead in there as well for circulation which I have cutting the surface of the water to provide oxygenation...

fishman said:
let me know if there is anything else I need to do. .
Sounds like you've got it covered. Once there are no obvious wounds/tears in the tentacles, it should be safe to acclimate back to the main. As I said, tentacle damage is usually easy to recover from, the only danger is from things picking at it making it worse.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah Im leaving him in the QT tank as long as I can keep up with the levels...I do have one question. Its ok to have little water changes as I decscibed above from my main into the QT tank isnt it? Reason I ask is the PH in my main is 8-8.2...in the QT tank it shows to be 8.4-8.5...dont know why this would be??
Lesson for everyone reading this...dont place an anenome under a powerhead!!!

fishman said:
I do have one question. Its ok to have little water changes as I decscibed above from my main into the QT tank isnt it?
Not the best idea as a rule for a long term solution. It really depends on the DOC/nutrient level in the main tank. Most times you end up increasing the nutrient level of the QT making water quality worse, not better.

Reason I ask is the PH in my main is 8-8.2...in the QT tank it shows to be 8.4-8.5...dont know why this would be??
Most likely the QT has better gas exchange and the fact there is almost no waste production from the anemone. If the 8.4-8.5 was a late afternoon/evening reading, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Once the anemone is healthy enough to place back in the main, I would suggest water changes daily from the main to the QT. A little contradition from the above but it is much less stressful to do small 10% daily water changes to help match water parametrs than to try acclimation the anemone the typical way. After about 5-7 days, the two tanks should be fairly close.

Cheers
Steve

UPDATE...well the anenome is still alive and doing well. I feed him every night to every other night. So far so good. I got the salinity a little out of whack so Im bringing it back down slowly. Whats a good time frame that to assume all is well and he will survive in my tank? Its been about 1.5 weeks now. He has no tears anywhere and looks like all of his tenacles are round tipped again meaning they are nubs and dont look like strings of stuff!!!
Whats the acclimation time back to the tank? I assume I need to do water changes as suggested above over a weeks time frame? So take for example one cup of water out of his QT and put one cup from the main in?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated. And thanks Steve for hanging in there with me on this problem as well as the Ick/QT tank issue. You have a lot of patience as well as Quarry!! Also Im going to go with what you guys tell me over the local fish stores. They have good advice but Im tired of taking 2-3 stories and figure out which one to believe. So far you guys have never led me wrong. Many thanks to you!

Goon news (y)

If all the open tears/wounds have closed, it should be safe to move back. Because of the rock it's attached to acclamation won't be too hard but it will take some time. As you posted, just keep doing water changes from the main to the QT. About 10-15% each day until you've changed out 100% of the water. When the day comes to do the transfer, empty out as much water from the QT (bucket?) as possible so there's just enough remaining to cover the anemone. Then set up a drip system from the main to the QT. This should allow for as close a match as possible.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom