Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
When you say the oral disc, your referring to the mouth area? If so, I think what I was seeeing when it was in the main tank was everything in the middle part of the anenome was drawn up so to speak. Since going in the hospital tank, its stretched back out and the mouth area is fine. It was really hard to tell what was what when it was first injured. I may get a larger container for it so there is more water volumn.
How can it eat if it only has 6-8 small tenacles? Doesnt it use the tenacles to draw in the food? man what a mess I have gotten into on this...arg!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
When you say the oral disc, your referring to the mouth area? If so, I think what I was seeeing when it was in the main tank was everything in the middle part of the anenome was drawn up so to speak. Since going in the hospital tank, its stretched back out and the mouth area is fine. It was really hard to tell what was what when it was first injured.
The oral disc is the area surrounding the mouth. Basically looking like the "flower" of a sunflower plant if you will. Sounds like what you saw was more so a stress reaction from the anemone and it was extruding the gut. That and bits of it's tentacles.

Quote:
How can it eat if it only has 6-8 small tenacles? Doesnt it use the tenacles to draw in the food? man what a mess I have gotten into on this...arg!
It may not be able to as yet but I would give it a try. Turn off all the water moving apparatus for a short time when you try. Gentley place the food on the mouth opening without forcing it. It might take a few attempts over several days. If it doesn't eventually accept the foods then recovery will take that much longer. Had it only been a few tentacles, this would have been a walk in the park.

Even if the disc isn't that damaged, I would wait on moving it as long as you can. When it does eventually get re-introduced to the main, it's chances will be that much better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok...yes the oral disc was not damaged. Its all intact. And as time goes on I am seeing more and more tenacles...I think there are about 10-12 that are still longer... the rest are nubs.
Ok I will wait on moving it again. I think i will get a bigger tub than the 10 gallon. Plus I may get one more light for it as well. Will keep you posted...
Thanks again for the help
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve
I fed the anenome the night before with mysis and he sucked it right up. Last night I decided to try and feed him a small peice of krill like I have done in the past. (before he got sucked up in the PH) and he ate it just fine. He looks better this morning and his tenacles are not all drawn up so it looks like its working. Hes still in the 10 gallon rubbermaid on a 10 lb peice of LR so I have the needed bacteria for sure in there. PH is stable. I do 2 large cup water changes a day from my main into his tank...seems to be working. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
Also I have a small powerhead in there as well for circulation which I have cutting the surface of the water to provide oxygenation...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
let me know if there is anything else I need to do. .
Sounds like you've got it covered. Once there are no obvious wounds/tears in the tentacles, it should be safe to acclimate back to the main. As I said, tentacle damage is usually easy to recover from, the only danger is from things picking at it making it worse.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah Im leaving him in the QT tank as long as I can keep up with the levels...I do have one question. Its ok to have little water changes as I decscibed above from my main into the QT tank isnt it? Reason I ask is the PH in my main is 8-8.2...in the QT tank it shows to be 8.4-8.5...dont know why this would be??
Lesson for everyone reading this...dont place an anenome under a powerhead!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
I do have one question. Its ok to have little water changes as I decscibed above from my main into the QT tank isnt it?
Not the best idea as a rule for a long term solution. It really depends on the DOC/nutrient level in the main tank. Most times you end up increasing the nutrient level of the QT making water quality worse, not better.

Quote:
Reason I ask is the PH in my main is 8-8.2...in the QT tank it shows to be 8.4-8.5...dont know why this would be??
Most likely the QT has better gas exchange and the fact there is almost no waste production from the anemone. If the 8.4-8.5 was a late afternoon/evening reading, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Once the anemone is healthy enough to place back in the main, I would suggest water changes daily from the main to the QT. A little contradition from the above but it is much less stressful to do small 10% daily water changes to help match water parametrs than to try acclimation the anemone the typical way. After about 5-7 days, the two tanks should be fairly close.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

UPDATE...well the anenome is still alive and doing well. I feed him every night to every other night. So far so good. I got the salinity a little out of whack so Im bringing it back down slowly. Whats a good time frame that to assume all is well and he will survive in my tank? Its been about 1.5 weeks now. He has no tears anywhere and looks like all of his tenacles are round tipped again meaning they are nubs and dont look like strings of stuff!!!
Whats the acclimation time back to the tank? I assume I need to do water changes as suggested above over a weeks time frame? So take for example one cup of water out of his QT and put one cup from the main in?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated. And thanks Steve for hanging in there with me on this problem as well as the Ick/QT tank issue. You have a lot of patience as well as Quarry!! Also Im going to go with what you guys tell me over the local fish stores. They have good advice but Im tired of taking 2-3 stories and figure out which one to believe. So far you guys have never led me wrong. Many thanks to you!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #19
steve-s

Goon news

If all the open tears/wounds have closed, it should be safe to move back. Because of the rock it's attached to acclamation won't be too hard but it will take some time. As you posted, just keep doing water changes from the main to the QT. About 10-15% each day until you've changed out 100% of the water. When the day comes to do the transfer, empty out as much water from the QT (bucket?) as possible so there's just enough remaining to cover the anemone. Then set up a drip system from the main to the QT. This should allow for as close a match as possible.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anenome, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com