Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Anenome trouble

I turned the lights on this morning to find my powerhead had fallen in the night in the middle of my anenome. Its a pink tip condy. It looks like some of the tenacles have been cut off. The anenome is still sttached to a rock but the problem is it has been in the same place for about a year and its sucked down INTO a peice of LR. In other words its foot is inside the LR. What should I do?
I began running carbon this morning and will do a water change tonight. I did a nitrite test and so far nothing. The tank is fishless as Im treating them for ick. I do have 175 lbs lf LR and 3 shrimp and a few soft corals.
I assume I need to do a water change and continue to run carbon. But what should I do about the anenome? i thought about putting it in a bucket with a heater and powerhead by itself in case it dies. Only thing is it wont have any light. But I dont want it to die in my tank either.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
steve-s

If it's just tentacle damage it should recover just fine, water specs depending. The only time it would meltdown otherwise is if the foot was damaged or the oral disc was badly torn. I would not suggest moving it.

A few more water changes and some fresh carbon every few days and it should be back to normal quite quickly. Tentacle damage seems to repair itself in no time.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I disconnected the little screen that is on the end of the powerhead to give it a chance to release it. I cant even see the mouth though. It got sucked way up in the prefilter. I was going to give it until tonight to see what happens.
When will my levels (ammonia and such) start to build...in other words how soon will I know if it is dieing? I had rather exit it and the rock from the tank than lose my shrimp and corals. Maybe I will try and take a pic this afternoon.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This sounds like a rather large tank and running carbon should do the trick.The anemone will heal up pretty quick.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I came and inspected. All but 3 of its tenacles are torn, shredded or gone. However I dont see to many peices in the tank. Its mouth and body appear ok. I tested the water and all is ok. It is still alive as the cleaner shrimp is always next to it and when it touches the anenome, it retracts. Should I still leave it?
Also how long does it take one to die and what should I look for? I do have a 10 gallon tank standing by with heater and light in the event it even looks like its going south. Will try and post a pic tonight.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Its mouth and body appear ok. I tested the water and all is ok. It is still alive as the cleaner shrimp is always next to it and when it touches the anenome, it retracts. Should I still leave it?
Leave it be, moving it will definately do it in. Keep an eye on that shrimp though. If it picks at the anemone, remove the shrimp or the anemones a gonner.

Quote:
Also how long does it take one to die and what should I look for? I do have a 10 gallon tank standing by with heater and light in the event it even looks like its going south. Will try and post a pic tonight.
As I said, don't move the anemone. If you do, it's done. If dieing, it will melt down quite quickly (turn to goo) or expell it's gut and linger for a few days. Either way, there'll be no mistaking it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve
I have been watching the anenome and I was wrong. Its mouth is even damaged pretty badly. I dont know if I did right or wrong, but I moved it. I just dont see how it can live. Its a mess - bad mess. Plus the shrimp is picking at it as well and I had rather lose the $6 anenome than move a shrimp or mess my main tank up real bad. What makes it so bad is the anenome is sucked way down into the rock its ok. I expect it to die-dont want it to but I dont think there is a way around it. So I put the rock and everything in a 10 gallon bucket with a light and powerhead as well as a heater. I appreciate the advice but its looking worse as time goes on. I just want to protect my tank....
Old 02-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
steve-s

If the oral disc was as badly damaged as you say, it wouldn't have mattered if you moved it or not. As I said earlier, a damaged foot or badly damaged oral disc will often result in death. You'll just have to play wait and see for now. Just be sure to monitor the water quality in the QT bucket.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve
I have been watching it closely. Its still alive and looks better as the days go on. Also I have a 75 watt "spot light" (not really as its not that bright and is an energy saver) on it. Its still attached to the rock it was on. I am doing about 1/2 to 1 gallon water changes each daily along with adding vitamin C. Plus I have a very small powerhead in there as well. I am thinking that if it is still alive in the next 3-4 days, wouldnt I be ok in assuming it will live and move it back to the main tank? This happened on Fri so it will be 3 days on Monday.
Thanks for the responses. I was sure it was going to die as it was BADLY mangeled!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
steve-s

If it seems to be showing signs of recovering, I'd leave it be for now. If the oral disc was as badly damaged as you say, I'm very suprised it's still alive. Placing it back could shock it and/or make it easy prey for the shrimp in the tank. If it seems fine for now, wait for the injuries to heal a bit more before you decide to move it.

Watch the vitamin C additions in such a small holding tank. They will adversely affect pH if too much. Still a good addition, just be careful. I would also suggest some mysys or other small meaty foods soaked in Selcon once or twice a week to aid in the tissue regeneration. Be very mindful of water quality and remove any uneaten foods. If it regains full stature, don't just cut the feedings. Wein the anemone off the foods slowly over several months. Abruptly stopping the feedings will stress the anemone and should be done so slowly.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anenome, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com