Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well this Morning the Haitian or Condy was dead, I got something major going on!!
Two Nems dead in 24 hrs.!! I checked my Nitrates last night and they are sneaking up so I am doing 15% water change tonight & getting the Nitrates in check.

I have no clue what has changed (other than Nitrates) but I definitely got something bad going on!!

Thanks All

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

How long has this tank been set up? Can you give some more details on your lighting? LEDs can be kinda tricky in terms of defining usable light by photosynthetic creatures and many get confused when they see a tank brightly lit up not realizing that their lighting is only doing that, rather than providing usable light.
If you had 2 nems die, I would do a larger water change as they can do bad things to the water in your tank.
Without knowing more, I would assume that your tank is still newly set up. With this comes random parameter swings that can cause the downfall of anemones, one of the reasons why a good recommendation is to wait from 6 months to a year before thinking about an anemone. Along with that I would assume that your LED lighting would be along the lines of Marineland's "reef" compatable ones, which unfortunately don't provide the needed power.
Once you tell us some more about your system, we can help you figure out what is going on.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The title if this thread states that the LED lighting is new. How new is it? What lighting did you have before this? It's possible that the previous lighting wasn't sufficient and the nems just got to the point of no return by the time you got the LEDs. It can take them months to die. They really are very bleached, they shouldn't be that extreme white color. Here's a pic of my BTA and purple- tipped condy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1314995180.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	157361

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-224760625.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	157362

My condy has darkened up to a deeper purple since this photo, this was just a couple of days after I bought him.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They take a long time to acclimate to LED lighting. That anemone inside the crevice is not connected to anything. I would think this is a water parameter issue, since it's not attached. If the light was too strong, I would imagine they would hide from it.

You cannot move anemones wherever you want. How did you move the anemone to the top of your rock? Was it attached and you forced it loose? If so, that could be what killed it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
How long has this tank been set up? Can you give some more details on your lighting? LEDs can be kinda tricky in terms of defining usable light by photosynthetic creatures and many get confused when they see a tank brightly lit up not realizing that their lighting is only doing that, rather than providing usable light.
If you had 2 nems die, I would do a larger water change as they can do bad things to the water in your tank.
Without knowing more, I would assume that your tank is still newly set up. With this comes random parameter swings that can cause the downfall of anemones, one of the reasons why a good recommendation is to wait from 6 months to a year before thinking about an anemone. Along with that I would assume that your LED lighting would be along the lines of Marineland's "reef" compatable ones, which unfortunately don't provide the needed power.
Once you tell us some more about your system, we can help you figure out what is going on.
I can agree with everything except the marine land reef capable LED. You will hear a lot of conflicts with that but my personal experience they work just fine. I housed a carpet for almost two years and it grew wonderfully, color was great. I eventually traded it back because it kept eating my fish lol. Im gonna say the problem began at the LFS, you always want to examine your anemone, I would never buy one that was already bleached, chances of survival are slim. I would definitely agree with a bigger water change, one nem dying in your tank is enough to kill everything in there but two just adds to it. Make sure to test all your parameters too. Not just Nitrates
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #16

The tank is alittle over 4 months old, I learned something new today thanks to Beengirl I was told 3 months originally on anemones and evidently pulled the trigger alittle to quick. as far as lighting I purchased them from Ebay here is the link:
EVO 72" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Fowlr Cichlid 52x 3W 3 Watt Lunar | eBay

I was using 4 30" t-5's prior to the Leds and needed a bigger light due to the tank being 72" long. I may have been just over thinking this and introduced them to early, but they were doing so good then went south.

as far as the moving of anemones the BTA was attached to a rock and i would move the whole rock but the Haitian tube never did want to attach to anything and may have also been a route cause of my demise. When i purchased him at the LFS he wasn't attached to anything then and never did.

i have a calendar now in my tank room tracking lighting, water changes , parameters and tank variances.

All Please give me your input on the LED lights link I have attached? All technical help at this point is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCREEFER View Post
The tank is alittle over 4 months old, I learned something new today thanks to Beengirl I was told 3 months originally on anemones and evidently pulled the trigger alittle to quick. as far as lighting I purchased them from Ebay here is the link:
EVO 72" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Fowlr Cichlid 52x 3W 3 Watt Lunar | eBay

I was using 4 30" t-5's prior to the Leds and needed a bigger light due to the tank being 72" long. I may have been just over thinking this and introduced them to early, but they were doing so good then went south.

as far as the moving of anemones the BTA was attached to a rock and i would move the whole rock but the Haitian tube never did want to attach to anything and may have also been a route cause of my demise. When i purchased him at the LFS he wasn't attached to anything then and never did.

i have a calendar now in my tank room tracking lighting, water changes , parameters and tank variances.

Beengirl Please give me your input on the LED lights link I have attached? All technical help at this point is greatly appreciated.
Your tank is only 4 months old from time of set up? IMO that's way too soon to house any anemones. You want a fully established tank before adding any. I waited two years before I added any to my tank.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
So, you had the 4 x 30" T5 lamps over what tank? This one? How long were the anemones under that lighting?
I'm not convinced the lighting was the problem here. I don't think it was overly strong.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #19

Well all I have been very busy and unable to get back to the thread i started but actually have had some good luck and advice from friends on my side. I spent Friday doing a vacuum of the tank and 50 % water change and Fiji mud. My polyps and sps's were looking pretty crappy and my last anem too. I kept checking my parameters and awoke Saturday to my anem open looking like a million bucks again and eating good. My sps's have been slowly but steadily coming back around! My initial route cause was the lighting Iam not completely positive due to the Haitian Hiding from the Leds but I looked back at when the Haitian was put into the tank and when I introduced the Leds, I truly believe my route cause came with the haitian anem from the LFS. Things are under control and feeling alot more relaxed in the evenings when i enjoy my beer and tanks for my daily 1 hour ritual. I have been finding it to be so much a stress relief that I have found a new way to deal with my work stress. Nothing else in life matters except my wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs and my 2 saltwater tanks. Life is GOOD!!

Tags
anenome, led, led lighting, light, lighting, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com