Anenome trouble with new led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRCREEFER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i Got 3 anenomes 1 Bubble tip anemone ( BTA ) 1 long tentacle Anemone ( LTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture I also have 1 hatian green tentacle Tube (HGTTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture Sorry i have not figured out how to post them right on the thread.

The sltwtr parameters are excellent the lighting is 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. water temp is 79.6 F

My LTA is doing excellent he is the one in the top of the 1st photo and the BTA is on the lower portion of the photo. the 2nd picture link is my HGTTA .

Here is the issue the BTA comes and goes as if he sometimes likes the lights and other times I think he is dieing. The HGTTA just about ended up in the toilet yesterday, I thought nfor sure he was dead. So i tried something new last night I turned on the 12 blue actinic lights and added a regular old shop light just to experiment alittle and see the results I awoke to the HGTTA has moved and seems as if he is coming out of it.The BTA looks as if he is hitting the toilet by the end of today. When I got home I turned on the 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. The HGTTA after 4 hours is looking bad again and the BTA is coming out of it. The whole time the LTA has been looking like a million bucks.

I have tried placing both the BTA & the HGTTA up and down in the water column and they always head to the bottom of the tank. By the way the tank is 24" deep. I just can not seem to get a lighting regament that both of the troubled anemones like. Any suggestions? I some times wonder if my Leds are to much but then I look at my LTA and shake my head cause he loves it at about 18" deep in the water column and the other 2 want the bottom.

Beleive me I have read every article on the web when it comes to lighting and cant put my finger on my issue. Am i over thinking it, am i missing something? Is there someting out there that I can give the troubled anemone's Vitamin wise to help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as always!! :banghead:

ok i Got 3 anenomes 1 Bubble tip anemone ( BTA ) 1 long tentacle Anemone ( LTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture I also have 1 hatian green tentacle Tube (HGTTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture Sorry i have not figured out how to post them right on the thread.

The sltwtr parameters are excellent the lighting is 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. water temp is 79.6 F

My LTA is doing excellent he is the one in the top of the 1st photo and the BTA is on the lower portion of the photo. the 2nd picture link is my HGTTA .

Here is the issue the BTA comes and goes as if he sometimes likes the lights and other times I think he is dieing. The HGTTA just about ended up in the toilet yesterday, I thought nfor sure he was dead. So i tried something new last night I turned on the 12 blue actinic lights and added a regular old shop light just to experiment alittle and see the results I awoke to the HGTTA has moved and seems as if he is coming out of it.The BTA looks as if he is hitting the toilet by the end of today. When I got home I turned on the 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. The HGTTA after 4 hours is looking bad again and the BTA is coming out of it. The whole time the LTA has been looking like a million bucks.

I have tried placing both the BTA & the HGTTA up and down in the water column and they always head to the bottom of the tank. By the way the tank is 24" deep. I just can not seem to get a lighting regament that both of the troubled anemones like. Any suggestions? I some times wonder if my Leds are to much but then I look at my LTA and shake my head cause he loves it at about 18" deep in the water column and the other 2 want the bottom.

Beleive me I have read every article on the web when it comes to lighting and cant put my finger on my issue. Am i over thinking it, am i missing something? Is there someting out there that I can give the troubled anemone's Vitamin wise to help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as always!! :banghead:

How long have you had these nems? Exactly what lights do you have? How many watts per light bulb for these LEDs? Those nems look very bleached to me. :( They shouldn't be that white. I don't know if your BTA is supposed to be green or rose, but it definitely shouldn't be white. Those nems look to have expelled all of their zooanthella.

the anems I have had about a month. The Leds are Green element 52 total bulbs 3 watts per = 156 total watts 40 of the bulbs are the whie leds and 12 are blue actinic. MY BTA is a blue tipped bubble and the other one is a hatian geen tentacle tube ( he has always seemed the worst.) long tentacle is alittle darker than the day I bought him from the LFS and is doing great He never has his bad days! The Bubble tip today appears as if he is dieing and the Haitian tube looks worse I just flipped the lights from full leds to 12 blue actinic Leds and the regular old shop light @ 6 :30 pm I will reobserve both about 10 pm again. Just to see if they start responding to the shop light!! Stay tuned! Are you able to introduce some Zooanthella chemically? It just dont make any since due to the Long tentacle tube is doing and looking so good!

The LTA and BTA was pretty white I beleive they have actually darkened alittle. The BTA is officially dead!!!! when I turned the leds from the 40 whites and turned the old shop light on it at 6:30 pm tonight the Haitian green tentacle tube was hiding and looked shriveled up. I just came in and pulled the BTA out of the tank and noticed the Haitian green tentacle tube had came out of hiding and was looking alot better than @ 6:30 pm. He likes the shop light and hates the LEDS, but from experimental when I turn on just the blue actinic LEDS @ night he goes back into hiding. It doesnt matter what lighting I run the Long tentacle tube has always looked great and seems very healthy. The rest of my Polyps, sps and lps look great and have not had any issues they have actually grown alot since I introduced them into the tank. Here is tonights pic of the Long tentacle tube, he really dont look as white or bleached looking in the tank its the shop light that he is under that makes him look so bleached. Note the other plants behind it also.

Thanks to all, I am dazed and confused!!

The LTA and BTA was pretty white I beleive they have actually darkened alittle. The BTA is officially dead!!!! when I turned the leds from the 40 whites and turned the old shop light on it at 6:30 pm tonight the Haitian green tentacle tube was hiding and looked shriveled up. I just came in and pulled the BTA out of the tank and noticed the Haitian green tentacle tube had came out of hiding and was looking alot better than @ 6:30 pm. He likes the shop light and hates the LEDS, but from experimental when I turn on just the blue actinic LEDS @ night he goes back into hiding. It doesnt matter what lighting I run the Long tentacle tube has always looked great and seems very healthy. The rest of my Polyps, sps and lps look great and have not had any issues they have actually grown alot since I introduced them into the tank. Here is tonights pic of the Long tentacle tube, he really dont look as white or bleached looking in the tank its the shop light that he is under that makes him look so bleached. Note the other plants behind it also.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/75851-albums11797-picture52546.html
Thanks to all, I am dazed and confused!!

I think the tentacles generally come in a whiteish color, I do know that bulbs should not be white. If they are hat white in the LFS then they will probably not survive in your tank. I would monitor your tank, anemones I think release toxins when they die that could harm other inmates in your tank.

As Been girl said, those anemones are very bleached. I think you also may have some mis-identification there. I see a condylactis (sometimes called a condy or Haitian pink tip) in that last photo and I'm pretty sure the one with the purple tips is a sebae. The most common colors for bubble tips are green and rose. Sometimes the greens have pink tips. There is also a variety I've seen pictures of that are purple with green tips.

This one. . .
75851-albums11797-picture52520.jpg
. . .might be a long tentacle or could be a condy. I can't see enough of it in this picture to tell for sure.

This is what a long tentacle looks like for comparison (mine):
41906-albums2492-picture52549.png

I'm honestly not sure how these guys acquire their zooxanthellae. I do know of some anemones recovering from a bleached condition over time, but I think you have to have luck on your side.

I actually read recently that if a nem has completely lost its zooxanthallae the only way to get it back is to introduce another healthy nem of the same species to share it. Not sure where I read that but does someone else have any idea if there is truth in this?

I actually read recently that if a nem has completely lost its zooxanthallae the only way to get it back is to introduce another healthy nem of the same species to share it. Not sure where I read that but does someone else have any idea if there is truth in this?

I've read this too, but not sure exactly how the transfer would occur from healthy one to bleached one.

Well this Morning the Haitian or Condy was dead, I got something major going on!!
Two Nems dead in 24 hrs.!! :nono: I checked my Nitrates last night and they are sneaking up so I am doing 15% water change tonight & getting the Nitrates in check.:banghead:

I have no clue what has changed (other than Nitrates) but I definitely got something bad going on!!

Thanks All

How long has this tank been set up? Can you give some more details on your lighting? LEDs can be kinda tricky in terms of defining usable light by photosynthetic creatures and many get confused when they see a tank brightly lit up not realizing that their lighting is only doing that, rather than providing usable light.
If you had 2 nems die, I would do a larger water change as they can do bad things to the water in your tank.
Without knowing more, I would assume that your tank is still newly set up. With this comes random parameter swings that can cause the downfall of anemones, one of the reasons why a good recommendation is to wait from 6 months to a year before thinking about an anemone. Along with that I would assume that your LED lighting would be along the lines of Marineland's "reef" compatable ones, which unfortunately don't provide the needed power.
Once you tell us some more about your system, we can help you figure out what is going on.

The title if this thread states that the LED lighting is new. How new is it? What lighting did you have before this? It's possible that the previous lighting wasn't sufficient and the nems just got to the point of no return by the time you got the LEDs. It can take them months to die. They really are very bleached, they shouldn't be that extreme white color. Here's a pic of my BTA and purple- tipped condy.

image-1314995180.jpg

image-224760625.jpg

My condy has darkened up to a deeper purple since this photo, this was just a couple of days after I bought him.

They take a long time to acclimate to LED lighting. That anemone inside the crevice is not connected to anything. I would think this is a water parameter issue, since it's not attached. If the light was too strong, I would imagine they would hide from it.

You cannot move anemones wherever you want. How did you move the anemone to the top of your rock? Was it attached and you forced it loose? If so, that could be what killed it.

How long has this tank been set up? Can you give some more details on your lighting? LEDs can be kinda tricky in terms of defining usable light by photosynthetic creatures and many get confused when they see a tank brightly lit up not realizing that their lighting is only doing that, rather than providing usable light.
If you had 2 nems die, I would do a larger water change as they can do bad things to the water in your tank.
Without knowing more, I would assume that your tank is still newly set up. With this comes random parameter swings that can cause the downfall of anemones, one of the reasons why a good recommendation is to wait from 6 months to a year before thinking about an anemone. Along with that I would assume that your LED lighting would be along the lines of Marineland's "reef" compatable ones, which unfortunately don't provide the needed power.
Once you tell us some more about your system, we can help you figure out what is going on.

I can agree with everything except the marine land reef capable LED. You will hear a lot of conflicts with that but my personal experience they work just fine. I housed a carpet for almost two years and it grew wonderfully, color was great. I eventually traded it back because it kept eating my fish lol. Im gonna say the problem began at the LFS, you always want to examine your anemone, I would never buy one that was already bleached, chances of survival are slim. I would definitely agree with a bigger water change, one nem dying in your tank is enough to kill everything in there but two just adds to it. Make sure to test all your parameters too. Not just Nitrates

The tank is alittle over 4 months old, I learned something new today thanks to Beengirl I was told 3 months originally on anemones and evidently pulled the trigger alittle to quick. as far as lighting I purchased them from Ebay here is the link:
EVO 72" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Fowlr Cichlid 52x 3W 3 Watt Lunar | eBay

I was using 4 30" t-5's prior to the Leds and needed a bigger light due to the tank being 72" long. I may have been just over thinking this and introduced them to early, but they were doing so good then went south.

as far as the moving of anemones the BTA was attached to a rock and i would move the whole rock but the Haitian tube never did want to attach to anything and may have also been a route cause of my demise. When i purchased him at the LFS he wasn't attached to anything then and never did.

i have a calendar now in my tank room tracking lighting, water changes , parameters and tank variances.

All Please give me your input on the LED lights link I have attached? All technical help at this point is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The tank is alittle over 4 months old, I learned something new today thanks to Beengirl I was told 3 months originally on anemones and evidently pulled the trigger alittle to quick. as far as lighting I purchased them from Ebay here is the link:
EVO 72" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Fowlr Cichlid 52x 3W 3 Watt Lunar | eBay

I was using 4 30" t-5's prior to the Leds and needed a bigger light due to the tank being 72" long. I may have been just over thinking this and introduced them to early, but they were doing so good then went south.

as far as the moving of anemones the BTA was attached to a rock and i would move the whole rock but the Haitian tube never did want to attach to anything and may have also been a route cause of my demise. When i purchased him at the LFS he wasn't attached to anything then and never did.

i have a calendar now in my tank room tracking lighting, water changes , parameters and tank variances.

Beengirl Please give me your input on the LED lights link I have attached? All technical help at this point is greatly appreciated.

Your tank is only 4 months old from time of set up? IMO that's way too soon to house any anemones. You want a fully established tank before adding any. I waited two years before I added any to my tank.

So, you had the 4 x 30" T5 lamps over what tank? This one? How long were the anemones under that lighting?
I'm not convinced the lighting was the problem here. I don't think it was overly strong.

Well all I have been very busy and unable to get back to the thread i started but actually have had some good luck and advice from friends on my side. I spent Friday doing a vacuum of the tank and 50 % water change and Fiji mud. My polyps and sps's were looking pretty crappy and my last anem too. I kept checking my parameters and awoke Saturday to my anem open looking like a million bucks again and eating good. My sps's have been slowly but steadily coming back around! My initial route cause was the lighting Iam not completely positive due to the Haitian Hiding from the Leds but I looked back at when the Haitian was put into the tank and when I introduced the Leds, I truly believe my route cause came with the haitian anem from the LFS. Things are under control and feeling alot more relaxed in the evenings when i enjoy my beer and tanks for my daily 1 hour ritual. I have been finding it to be so much a stress relief that I have found a new way to deal with my work stress. Nothing else in life matters except my wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs and my 2 saltwater tanks. Life is GOOD!!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom