Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy Anenome trouble with new led lighting

ok i Got 3 anenomes 1 Bubble tip anemone ( BTA ) 1 long tentacle Anemone ( LTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture I also have 1 hatian green tentacle Tube (HGTTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture Sorry i have not figured out how to post them right on the thread.

The sltwtr parameters are excellent the lighting is 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. water temp is 79.6 F

My LTA is doing excellent he is the one in the top of the 1st photo and the BTA is on the lower portion of the photo. the 2nd picture link is my HGTTA .

Here is the issue the BTA comes and goes as if he sometimes likes the lights and other times I think he is dieing. The HGTTA just about ended up in the toilet yesterday, I thought nfor sure he was dead. So i tried something new last night I turned on the 12 blue actinic lights and added a regular old shop light just to experiment alittle and see the results I awoke to the HGTTA has moved and seems as if he is coming out of it.The BTA looks as if he is hitting the toilet by the end of today. When I got home I turned on the 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. The HGTTA after 4 hours is looking bad again and the BTA is coming out of it. The whole time the LTA has been looking like a million bucks.

I have tried placing both the BTA & the HGTTA up and down in the water column and they always head to the bottom of the tank. By the way the tank is 24" deep. I just can not seem to get a lighting regament that both of the troubled anemones like. Any suggestions? I some times wonder if my Leds are to much but then I look at my LTA and shake my head cause he loves it at about 18" deep in the water column and the other 2 want the bottom.

Beleive me I have read every article on the web when it comes to lighting and cant put my finger on my issue. Am i over thinking it, am i missing something? Is there someting out there that I can give the troubled anemone's Vitamin wise to help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as always!!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCREEFER View Post
ok i Got 3 anenomes 1 Bubble tip anemone ( BTA ) 1 long tentacle Anemone ( LTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture I also have 1 hatian green tentacle Tube (HGTTA) Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - DRCREEFER's Album: DRCREEFER tank - Picture Sorry i have not figured out how to post them right on the thread.

The sltwtr parameters are excellent the lighting is 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. water temp is 79.6 F

My LTA is doing excellent he is the one in the top of the 1st photo and the BTA is on the lower portion of the photo. the 2nd picture link is my HGTTA .

Here is the issue the BTA comes and goes as if he sometimes likes the lights and other times I think he is dieing. The HGTTA just about ended up in the toilet yesterday, I thought nfor sure he was dead. So i tried something new last night I turned on the 12 blue actinic lights and added a regular old shop light just to experiment alittle and see the results I awoke to the HGTTA has moved and seems as if he is coming out of it.The BTA looks as if he is hitting the toilet by the end of today. When I got home I turned on the 40 10000k + 12 actinic 10000k leds. The HGTTA after 4 hours is looking bad again and the BTA is coming out of it. The whole time the LTA has been looking like a million bucks.

I have tried placing both the BTA & the HGTTA up and down in the water column and they always head to the bottom of the tank. By the way the tank is 24" deep. I just can not seem to get a lighting regament that both of the troubled anemones like. Any suggestions? I some times wonder if my Leds are to much but then I look at my LTA and shake my head cause he loves it at about 18" deep in the water column and the other 2 want the bottom.

Beleive me I have read every article on the web when it comes to lighting and cant put my finger on my issue. Am i over thinking it, am i missing something? Is there someting out there that I can give the troubled anemone's Vitamin wise to help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as always!!
How long have you had these nems? Exactly what lights do you have? How many watts per light bulb for these LEDs? Those nems look very bleached to me. They shouldn't be that white. I don't know if your BTA is supposed to be green or rose, but it definitely shouldn't be white. Those nems look to have expelled all of their zooanthella.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

the anems I have had about a month. The Leds are Green element 52 total bulbs 3 watts per = 156 total watts 40 of the bulbs are the whie leds and 12 are blue actinic. MY BTA is a blue tipped bubble and the other one is a hatian geen tentacle tube ( he has always seemed the worst.) long tentacle is alittle darker than the day I bought him from the LFS and is doing great He never has his bad days! The Bubble tip today appears as if he is dieing and the Haitian tube looks worse I just flipped the lights from full leds to 12 blue actinic Leds and the regular old shop light @ 6 :30 pm I will reobserve both about 10 pm again. Just to see if they start responding to the shop light!! Stay tuned! Are you able to introduce some Zooanthella chemically? It just dont make any since due to the Long tentacle tube is doing and looking so good!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

We're they this bleached when you purchased them?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

The LTA and BTA was pretty white I beleive they have actually darkened alittle. The BTA is officially dead!!!! when I turned the leds from the 40 whites and turned the old shop light on it at 6:30 pm tonight the Haitian green tentacle tube was hiding and looked shriveled up. I just came in and pulled the BTA out of the tank and noticed the Haitian green tentacle tube had came out of hiding and was looking alot better than @ 6:30 pm. He likes the shop light and hates the LEDS, but from experimental when I turn on just the blue actinic LEDS @ night he goes back into hiding. It doesnt matter what lighting I run the Long tentacle tube has always looked great and seems very healthy. The rest of my Polyps, sps and lps look great and have not had any issues they have actually grown alot since I introduced them into the tank. Here is tonights pic of the Long tentacle tube, he really dont look as white or bleached looking in the tank its the shop light that he is under that makes him look so bleached. Note the other plants behind it also.

Thanks to all, I am dazed and confused!!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCREEFER View Post
The LTA and BTA was pretty white I beleive they have actually darkened alittle. The BTA is officially dead!!!! when I turned the leds from the 40 whites and turned the old shop light on it at 6:30 pm tonight the Haitian green tentacle tube was hiding and looked shriveled up. I just came in and pulled the BTA out of the tank and noticed the Haitian green tentacle tube had came out of hiding and was looking alot better than @ 6:30 pm. He likes the shop light and hates the LEDS, but from experimental when I turn on just the blue actinic LEDS @ night he goes back into hiding. It doesnt matter what lighting I run the Long tentacle tube has always looked great and seems very healthy. The rest of my Polyps, sps and lps look great and have not had any issues they have actually grown alot since I introduced them into the tank. Here is tonights pic of the Long tentacle tube, he really dont look as white or bleached looking in the tank its the shop light that he is under that makes him look so bleached. Note the other plants behind it also.

Thanks to all, I am dazed and confused!!
I think the tentacles generally come in a whiteish color, I do know that bulbs should not be white. If they are hat white in the LFS then they will probably not survive in your tank. I would monitor your tank, anemones I think release toxins when they die that could harm other inmates in your tank.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Been girl said, those anemones are very bleached. I think you also may have some mis-identification there. I see a condylactis (sometimes called a condy or Haitian pink tip) in that last photo and I'm pretty sure the one with the purple tips is a sebae. The most common colors for bubble tips are green and rose. Sometimes the greens have pink tips. There is also a variety I've seen pictures of that are purple with green tips.

This one. . .. . .might be a long tentacle or could be a condy. I can't see enough of it in this picture to tell for sure.

This is what a long tentacle looks like for comparison (mine):

I'm honestly not sure how these guys acquire their zooxanthellae. I do know of some anemones recovering from a bleached condition over time, but I think you have to have luck on your side.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually read recently that if a nem has completely lost its zooxanthallae the only way to get it back is to introduce another healthy nem of the same species to share it. Not sure where I read that but does someone else have any idea if there is truth in this?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I actually read recently that if a nem has completely lost its zooxanthallae the only way to get it back is to introduce another healthy nem of the same species to share it. Not sure where I read that but does someone else have any idea if there is truth in this?
I've read this too, but not sure exactly how the transfer would occur from healthy one to bleached one.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

They share? Released through the water column? Interesting hey...

Tags
anenome, led, led lighting, light, lighting, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com