Angelfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexis75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an emperor angelfish in my 180 gallon tank...just put him in the main tank two weeks ago and noticed that he has some spots that look like small patches of scales missing. I figured it was due to establishing pecking order between the angel and the silly clownfish (doesn't he know the angel is too big to fight? :roll: ) But they appear in several places. He's not sick, far from it. Eating like a horse and no visual appearance of disease. I did not treat him during observation as he seems quite healthy to me. Not sure where to post this question, please move as you see fit, thanks :D

WELCOME TO AA!!

How did you acclimate him?
What are your water test results?
I'll move this to the sick fish/coral section.

Are the patches increasing in size or just vary around the body? If the clownfish is being overly aggressive it could be picking off scales to defend its terrritory, just a thought.

I just noticed a new spot that looks like a bite mark, this one is larger than the others, I am off work now so I can moniter for aggression tonight. Hope thats it. I post any updates...

Seems to be a fair bit of aggression going on in the tank. The sebae is tearing into everybody and so is my powder brown tang. The powder brown is attacking all the little fish and the clown is attacking big fish, little fish...any fish. I am going to continue observing but I think that may be it. Maybe they are all stressed out with the new additions? This is what I have: Emporer (L), Naso (M), Powder Brown (M), Pr of sebae's(L&S), skunk clown (S), and a Flame angel (S). I have about 300 lb's of rock, well matured. Water quality ph 8.2, Nitrates 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0 and phosphates test kit tested almost clear. Should I move rock around, would that help?

They will all re-establish territories. You can rearrange some of the rockwork and see if it helps out, but not too much where it'll stress them out. If they tend to fight while feeding, try feeding a little bit more and/or in different areas so they all have a chance to get a couple bites. If that doesn't work you can always smack em on the nose and say "No!" lol

Innovator said:
They will all re-establish territories. You can rearrange some of the rockwork and see if it helps out, but not too much where it'll stress them out.

This what I`ve done with success.

Things have settled down a lot in my tank. I waited on moving the rockwork because of the coral growth on the rock work. I have too much GPS, need to sell some rock to calm it's growth. I want to get some base rock in to replace some of the others. BUT the angel seems to have lost the white spots over the last week or more. The pygmy angels are still getting picked on though. I will move the rock I think.

Back
Top Bottom