Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a plan. I, like mike think yoru should QT all the fish and putting a divider would solve the aggresion problem.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do you guys recommend controlling PH? Baking soda?

How low can I let it go before it becomes a problem?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Crushed coral??

Carib Sea Crushed Coral-15 Lbs - Decorations - Marine Substrates at BigalsOnline

My PH is at 8.1 right now but the DT was 8.5. I didn't think lowering the salinity would affect it that much so I'm hoping my puffer is ok.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

splitting will not hurt. but got to your local hardware store and get some PVC pipe and cut it so the Goby has a place to hide, btw make sure it big enuf for the goby to fit in
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Consistent water changes with well mix and aerated water will control your pH. I wouldn't add anything to it.

Let the water mix for 24 hours with a strong pump to equalize.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Jimbo I'm going to give that a shot, I usually don't let the water mix with a pump for 24 hours is that bad??

Have the salinity at 1.015 PH is at 7.9.

I noticed a nitrite spike in the HT after I put the puffer in there, this is after having the damsel in there for about 3 weeks with no readings. I have a sponge filter in there that was in my sump for about a week then in the HT with a damsel. Thing is I also had a piece of live rock in there that I took out when I started hyposalinity... I think that might have been what was doing the cycling.. What are the chances the rock will recover from the drop in salinity, or do you think I'm going to be stuck doing 50% water changes until nitrites are gone?

Ammonia is 0.

Thanks everybody for the help! I may be new to all of this but I'm determined to save this puffer!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also is there a fast way to vacuum the bottom of a tank if it is on the floor??

Terrible planning on my part I know, but there has to be a faster way than a turkey baster??
Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

NVM the last question I'm going to move the tank up onto a counter in my kitchen so that I can vacuum the bottom easier. My puffer is going to hate me..
Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Puffers produce ALOT of waste so it will take some time for things to zero out. Until they do, I would go with frequent water changes and dosing Prime when you need it (emergency spikes).

As you continue to drop the salinity to 1.008-1.009, your PH will become increasingly difficult to maintain. That is when the baking soda will come in handy. Never add it directly to the tank, always premix it into your pwc to boost the PH, then take a reading to make sure your not going to sky rocket the ph. A ph of 7.8-8.0 is fine during treatment, the key is to keep it steady.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you Krypt.

I have the baking soda (well baking soda baked in the oven) ready in case the PH drops.

For tonight I'm working on getting the tank over to the new spot and doing a huge water change ( ~ 50%) in the process. That should be enough for me and Ron Burgundy (the puffer) for tonight.

I also started keeping track of stuff in my Gmail calendar, there is so much to remember with water chemistry etc!

Going to be a lot of work but will be worth it to have an ich free tank!!!

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com