Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another ich thread :(

So my dogface puffer has ich.... he had it a while ago but I did the whole denial thing and hoped it would go away... it did but came back and I want to get rid of it for good.

I'm going to do hyposalinity in a hospital tank, which leads to my question.

I have 2 domino damsels, a dogface puffer and a blue dot goby. My hospital tank is 30 gallons. Can I put all of these fish into a 30 gallon?

I'm worried about the goby. I figure the puffer and damsels will probably be fine together but there is no sand in that tank for the goby plus he might get picked on by the damsels.

Ich is terrible!!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would put some cut up pieces of PVC in the tank that would provide some hiding spots. Also read these for info on the parasite.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I should be ok then with all 4 of those fish in that size tank for 8 weeks?

I've read a whole bunch on the disease, QT is going to be used for a month (or more) for all new additions.

The only thing I'm worried about is cramming all of those fish into that small tank..
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK got the puffer in the QT and a refractometer.

Good start I guess.

I'm putting the temp in the QT to about 82 and will start making the water changes with fresh water tonight since there was already a .03 drop from the DT to the QT.

I know everywhere says to take all fish out of the tank for 8 weeks, I went and talked to the dude at the LFS and he said to just do the hypo with the puffer leave the others that aren't showing signs. I know this goes against everything I've read but is there a chance I could treat only the puffer until no more ich and have a chance by putting him back in without treating the others?

Or of course cramming all 4 fish into the 30 gallon, I'm not sure which is the better of the two?

At least now I can breathe cause I know the puffer is safe..
Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully he won't get reinfected when you put him back. Ck that, he will get reinfected, let's hope he has built up an immunitiy to the ick.
PS: raising the temp/ will only reduce 02 and not really speed up the ich cycle.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you think I should just treat the puffer and leave the damsel/goby?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally think you should treat all the fish in the QT with hypo and leave your main tank fishless for eight weeks. This if done right will get rid of the parasite.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

as melosu said,don't raise the temp I think that only works with freshwater.And again +1 with melosu-treat them all to be on the safe side.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I will bring the temp back to 80.

I guess I knew the answer already from all the reading I've been doing, I want to do it right the first time. I Quarantined the puffer for 3 weeks too, I think a damsel I put in there first might have had it but it looked like too big of a spot to be ick at first and then putting the puffer in made the situation worse.

Will the goby be ok with a bare bottom tank?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

I actually have some eggcrate sittin around that I could use... so I could split it up into 2-3 sections which might not be as bad.

I was thinkin the puffer/goby in one bigger section and the 2 domino damsels in the other smaller section?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com