Another Ich thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just discovered my coral beauty has Ich, she was added 2 weeks ago with no signs of Ich at all. Now, she has the evident white spots all over.
I discovered it when she and the cleaner shrimp were having a cleaning session. I guess it's only wishful thinking that the shrimp would get it all off of her..
I have a 10 gal. Tank ready to set up for QT. this worked for the size fish I had in my 29 BC. Well, now I have a 90, and I have more fish, and larger fish.
My questions:
1) is a 10 gal. Large enough for the coral beauty.
2) do I really need to remove all fish for quarantine? This would be a hellacious task! I'd probably have to remove LR. No signs of Ich on any other fish.

More bad news: I have a 55 gal. Ready to go for a QT, however, my wife just sold it and the guy is supposed to come pick it up today!
?

Just set up the 10 gal. Qt. had some bio balls left in my fuge so I put them in the HOB filter to seed the bio-wheel. Also, put some in the QT.
I filled the QT with 5 gal. of DT water and 5 of new water.
Now just figuring out how to catch the Coral Beauty. Going to do hypo salinity.
Before I get this fish into the QT, my question still stands to be answered:
Will the coral beauty be ok in the 10 gal. QT for a few weeks?

I would think a dwarf angel would be fine in a 10g.

Ideally you QT all fish and leave the DT fallow. Not easy, but you end up with clean/healthy fish going back into a clean/Ich-free tank. As long as there are fish in the DT as hosts, there is no reason to assume that there is not Ich in there. You could QTyour CB and put it back into a tank with Ich.

I would think a dwarf angel would be fine in a 10g.

Ideally you QT all fish and leave the DT fallow. Not easy, but you end up with clean/healthy fish going back into a clean/Ich-free tank. As long as there are fish in the DT as hosts, there is no reason to assume that there is not Ich in there. You could QTyour CB and put it back into a tank with Ich.

I've never had any of the fish in the tank have Ich,
The only ones have been recent additions like this CB. She's been in for 2 weeks and the Ich just started showing up yesterday. I'm thinking she's the carrier, and I'm hoping she hasn't infected any of the other fish. Being that I no longer have a tank large enough to Quarantine all of my fish, I have no other option than to just do the CB and hope she hasn't infected the others...

Also, will cleaner shrimp eat the parasites?

Read articles on saltwater Ich to get a good understanding of how this parasite operates. There are links on other posts. Im not sure how to post them from my phone, so i apologize for my inability to help with making it easy for you .

As part of its life cycle, it will drop off the fish, go into sand or rock, multiply and it starts over looking for a host. It can't live without a fish to host it.

Cleaner wrasses and shrimp can get some, but will not get it all. Most articles talk about that too.

Read articles on saltwater Ich to get a good understanding of how this parasite operates. There are links on other posts. Im not sure how to post them from my phone, so i apologize for my inability to help with making it easy for you .

As part of its life cycle, it will drop off the fish, go into sand or rock, multiply and it starts over looking for a host. It can't live without a fish to host it.

Cleaner wrasses and shrimp can get some, but will not get it all. Most articles talk about that too.

Thanks for your help. Ill have to do more reading. I guess that's the reason you want to leave the tank fallow for a while then; so the Ich dies off in the tank because it doesn't have a host.. I really wish my wife hadnt sold my 55 gal. It would have been perfect to Quarantine everything in...
Oh and my wife just wanted it gone to free up space in the house so we only got $75 for it! That was for the tank, stand, 2 HOB filters, the lids, the lights, wet/dry sump, plus the 48" 4 bulb T5 fixture I retired recently for LEDs.
So yea, I'm not very happy.
I sell the tank, and the next day we get ICH!
Unbelievable.... May have to go out and buy another one now.. Lol, whatever.

Get her back for selling it. Fill the bathtub and see how she likes qt'ing your fish in there it's about 70-90 gal that's perfect for all your fish .

Get her back for selling it. Fill the bathtub and see how she likes qt'ing your fish in there it's about 70-90 gal that's perfect for all your fish .

Lol. That's awesome. Kinda difficult to do though and I wonder how I'd cycle it. What would I do? Put an aerator and a ph in there for circulation?
What source of BB would I use? What about filtration?
Water changes would be easy, just pull the plug, and refill!

Canister filter for BB, and a heater and if u have a whirlpool u don't even need powerheads.

Wonder if google has a pic of this.......????

LOL!

It's definitely a possibility. Think I'm just gonna find a cheap tank on Craig's list and buy a HOB filter. I have a heater and a couple spare Power heads. Probably set the tank on a work bench and call it sufficient!
I love the whirlpool bathtub idea though! And the Pics!

best option is to use QT tank. Although when my coral beauty had ich I had to act relatively fast before it progressed so I just used a micro lift. The one I used was herbtana and to be honest i wouldn't recommend it. if you decide to take this route instead of QT tank use Ick-Kick just an all around better product.

best option is to use QT tank. Although when my coral beauty had ich I had to act relatively fast before it progressed so I just used a micro lift. The one I used was herbtana and to be honest i wouldn't recommend it. if you decide to take this route instead of QT tank use Ick-Kick just an all around better product.

Yea I'm still trying to catch the Coral Beauty. I've gone to every pet/aquarium store around and no-one has a fish trap so I'm gonna build the 2 liter bottle trap and try it out. Any more ideas for trapping this fish would be appreciated!
Maybe I'll get lucky and this will work first try....

Well, turns out the CB is not at all interested in the fish trap. I've caught just about every other fish besides the CB. I've tried netting it as well and as soon as I put the net in the tank she dives into the rocks. While the fish trap was in, she was just going around the tank eating algae and diatoms. Oh and I think she's nipping at corals too...
Need help! Any ideas?

Awesome, sorry about your loss, although I personally have bought a tank from a wife in a garage meet-up transaction and I could tell it was a behind-his-back maneuver! Awesome deal, 55 with stand and all the accessories for $150

As a wife myself I can tell you right now the best revenge is not in the bathroom, but in the KITCHEN

use her sieve to float fish in your DT, all the salad bowls become QT tanks and use 79% of the available counter space, not to mention every kitchen towel and hand towel you can find. Explain that without your 55 gallon this is the only way to preserve your investment unless she finds you a new tank

Back
Top Bottom