Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Also I rinsed the drop in filters from the HOB filters
I wouldn't do that right now. Its another area for the bacteria to accumulate on IMO. Just quickly siphon up the uneaten food. How the PH doing?

Quote:
Also once the levels drop, do I need to take these out completely one by one?
I wouldn't.
Quote:
I dont mind one every other day but this is nuts!!
I feel you pain. :|

Old 02-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Ok...so I tested tonight and came up with 0 ammonia and 20 or less trites. I sure hope this is right. Whats weird is I took some water from my tank this morning at 6 AM and at lunch had it tested. They said (with the same test kit) that I have .40 ammonia and .50-60 trites...weird...BUT I did find my PH is hovering around 7.8...Going to slowly bring this back up as well...Still going to do 2 water changes tomorrow and see what happens.
Also going to leave the filters alone too for now. Willl let everything get settled.
Thanks for the help
D

Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I did find my PH is hovering around 7.8...Going to slowly bring this back up as well...Still going to do 2 water changes tomorrow and see what happens.
May want to buffer the change water. More gradual way to raise it.
So glad things are leveling out for you, you have worked hard.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I buffered the change tonight already. I HOPE things are leveling out...we shall see with tomorrows test of the water....thanks again for the help...
Also I really want to send $$ to this website...Who do I sent it to? I cant send much but a little is better than nothing. I will do that soon if you tell me how...
Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure reefrunner69 and fishfreak would appreciate anything you can afford. Your participation in the site is the most important thing. Just go here if you wish to donate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/donate.php
Whats cool about it is that you will then join the exclusive group known as the Aquarium Advice Alumni.
Keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #96
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Also going to leave the filters alone too for now. Willl let everything get settled.
The filtration media only needs to be cleaned when it becomes noticabley affected by detritus accumulation. I said weekly as a guideline, not a rule. Overcleaning will impeded the proper growth of bacteria.

I guess the easiest way to guage when it needs cleaning is when you see any real elevations in water toxins or filter efficiencey is affected.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve/Quarry
Well for 4 days straight I had the ammonia at 0 and trites at 10 or less....as of yesterday they both started climbing on me...I rinsed one of the 3 spounges/filters tonight and will do one in the morning. Im concerned about them rising...what am I doing wrong? I havent been feeding any more than usual and have still been doing 2 water changes a day...one in the morning and evening.
Do I need to REPLACE the HOB filters or just rinse them good??? I thought I had it whipped....PH is around 8.0 I think.....going to get a test kit tomorrow to be sure. It was around 7.8 but I have been buffering the water every change now...
Per the last post the HOB filter is getting slower and slower so I assume I need to rinse or change them...
Old 02-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #98
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Steve/Quarry
Well for 4 days straight I had the ammonia at 0 and trites at 10 or less....as of yesterday they both started climbing on me...I rinsed one of the 3 spounges/filters tonight and will do one in the morning. Im concerned about them rising...what am I doing wrong? I havent been feeding any more than usual and have still been doing 2 water changes a day...one in the morning and evening.
You can be doing everything right and still have this happen. It does not sound like it's something wrong really, moreso it's just not going as planned.

How much water (%) are you changing each time?

Quote:
Do I need to REPLACE the HOB filters or just rinse them good??? I thought I had it whipped....PH is around 8.0 I think.....going to get a test kit tomorrow to be sure. It was around 7.8 but I have been buffering the water every change now...
Per the last post the HOB filter is getting slower and slower so I assume I need to rinse or change them...
Never change the filters only lightly rinse them. You don't actually want to "clean" them in any real sense, simpley remove excess foods and detritus that slow down the flow and lower water quality. A little bit of stuff is of no concern.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am doing anywhere from 15-25% 2x per day. Like I said it got to 0 for 4 days and Im not doing anything different..
My only concern with the filters is the biowheel on the HOB arent even movving any more. Even after the rinse. I think the filters are so clogged its not helping any to rinse them. I dont want to change them either but I almost have to rinse them daily for any proper water flow to move through them.
What if I put a couple more spounges in the tank itself for say a week for bacteria to grow, then pulled one of the filters and replaced it, then the other say a week later??
Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What if I put a couple more spounges in the tank itself for say a week for bacteria to grow, then pulled one of the filters and replaced it, then the other say a week later??
That would be a good idea IMO under the circumstances.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com