Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Well Im happy to report that I have 0 ammonia and 0 trites!!
SO now I can slow down gradually the water changes and amts I am changing. I now have an algea problem in my main that I have to tend to as I havent done a water change in there in 1.5 months...
Steve/Quarry thanks so much for all the help...if you guys get a chance take a look at the ID section of the forum. I have 2 posts in there for what I think is just a red algea...I dont think its cyno as its to think....I even have a pic too...
Thanks again and will keep you posted!!

Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #112
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Well Im happy to report that I have 0 ammonia and 0 trites!!
SO now I can slow down gradually the water changes and amts I am changing. I now have an algea problem in my main that I have to tend to as I havent done a water change in there in 1.5 months...

Just be sure to keep testing, better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Steve/Quarry thanks so much for all the help...if you guys get a chance take a look at the ID section of the forum. I have 2 posts in there for what I think is just a red algea...I dont think its cyno as its to think....I even have a pic too...
Thanks again and will keep you posted!!
Nothing comes to mind although I do agree it's not cyano. I will keep looking to see what I can find.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yes!! I will continue to test the water every night. I think I have found that if I will gently swish the HOB filters in the QT water when I do a water change it keeps the levels in check. Im learning...even though Im half way through the process AND have worn my RO filters out and having to buy new ones!
Oh well...Im getting there!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fishman, congrats, qt can be quite frustrating. I just finished my six week hypo with help from people on this forum. Keep checking your parameters, and sit back and wait until you can put your healthy fish back into your very healthy main tank. It feels good to conquer ick.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:30 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well here we go again. I have now 10 ammonia and less than 10 trites. I only had 0 across the board for 5 days in a row and now the levels have been out of balance for 10 days now. I am feeding so little now I dont know that my fish will survive if I feed any less. I only have about 2 weeks left in QT. In the 5th week now and almost the sixth. Im doing 2 water changes a day of about 5-8 gallons each time x 2. This is so frustrating for sure.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #116
steve-s

Have you been rinsing the filter sponges?

Not sure what to suggest really except to mabye keep seeding a new pair for swaping out and thoroughly clean the other in a weekly cycle.

Other than that it's really up to the water changes. Might want to increase the % of water changed each time. As far as the feedings, don't cut back so much it affects the fish's health. Better that you do a bit more work (sorry) than hamper the recovery effort.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well STeve it looks like your right. My dottieback isnt eating and upon inspection looks like he has a white fungus around his mouth..what shall I treat with and for how long? Also is it ok to treat with the other fish in there too?
Lastly can you raise the salinity more than 1 PPT per day? Its at 1.011 right now.
my main tank is around 1.023. It will be 6 weeks this coming Monday.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #118
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Well STeve it looks like your right. My dottieback isnt eating and upon inspection looks like he has a white fungus around his mouth..what shall I treat with and for how long?
The water parameters are your main challenge here and the cause for the most part. It really should be where to concentrate on. If you use a med to treat a possible infection/fungal issue, it will also destroy the biofilter so you will need to being doing more water changes.

A decent treatment would be Maracyn II at double the dose added daily for seven days. All the fish can be treated at the same time in the hyposaline environment. No need to raise the salinity just for this.

Quote:
Lastly can you raise the salinity more than 1 PPT per day? Its at 1.011 right now.
0.001 each day would be less stressful on the fish but you can increase it 0.002-0.003/day if needed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve
I really feel like Im an changing all of the water I possibly can. I have been doing 2 water changes per day and sometimes as much as 40-50% each time. I will try and do more...also whats weird is the ammonia will rise to around 20 then fall back to 10 or less with NO trites showing at all...sometimes there is just a hint but nothing over 5-10. It seems like I just cant get over the ammonia spike and the level off. Its been 12 days now at ammonia 20 or less....seems very odd.
I will try and keep the salinity at .001 per day. Im very anxious to get them out of there and hope this hypo thing works! I have been very diligent.
Thanks as usual!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #120
steve-s

Don't get me wrong, I was not implying you where not doing enough. Simpley that water changes are really your only resource it seems. Without a larger water volume and surface areas for the needed bacteria, it's a challenge in such a small tank.

The no nitrite part is easily explained, sort of. The fish excrete ammonia as part of respiration so given the lack of water volume, it becomes concentrated quite quickly. Your tank may have ample bacteria to deal with nitrites but may not have enough to keep up with the ammonia being expelled by the fish.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com