Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Steve/Quarry
Can one of u address the questions above Quarrys last post? Also 1.010 = 14PPT right? see my post at 4:31.
Thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
What are the chances that I go through 6-7 weeks of hypo at these levels, no fish in my main, and then put the fish back in the tank and they come down with ick again?
I think that is your best chance of success.
Quote:
Lastly, I have a velvet dottieback in the QT tank right now as one of the four fish. I noticed that some of his scales appear to be raised a bit??? Maybe they arent...just when the angle is right, it appears he might have the bumps? I assume this is just the ick popping up and they will fall off of him just like the others?
It may be, relax a bit. You are doing everything right. Without a pic its hard to tell.
I know you have your doubts. But you have made some proactive moves and I am confident it will work out for you. 8)

Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 AM   #53
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Im adding Kent Super buffer and I am checking the PH for sure. I guess I need to chk the AK as well but wouldnt both be up if I am adding buffer? What would I add to bring the AK up if needed?
A reef buffer will bring up both alkalinity and pH at the same time. The reason for checking both is if alk is low, pH can be influenced much easier by wastes and CO2. Maintaining the alk will help keep the pH stable.

Quote:
What are the chances that I go through 6-7 weeks of hypo at these levels, no fish in my main, and then put the fish back in the tank and they come down with ick again?
Slim to none if done correctly. It is more than possible to have a parasite free tank.

Quote:
Also 1.010 = 14PPT right?
Yes but if using a swing arm hydrometer target 1.009 SG.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I did chk the PH and Ak and both are perfect. So this is all good. I am taking this porcess little slower than normal and have brought the salinity down from 1.026 to 1.013 over 2 days and will shoot for 1.010/1.009 tonight. Will leave there for 6 weeks I think.
Also Im using a refractometer so i wanted to make sure that 1.010 WAS 14 PPT.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #55
steve-s

If using a refractometer just shoot for 14 ppt and keep it steady once there. Ignore trying to "translate" the numbers, it will just fuddle things up. AFAIK, 14 ppt is actually a little closer if not exactly 1.011 SG.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve
I am a reading freak...I was just reading on other forums for SW info and they do mention hypo as a treatment, but not very effective. however, I did read an article presented by a major aquarium in KS I think and they QT all of their fish and do hypo on them for 6-8 weeks and even longer at 1.008 even. just fyi...
I assume you have done this before? How effective was it and what caused you to have to do hypo? Do you do only hypo or copper too? im just curious to hear your experience....just a short version of it at least
Old 01-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #57
steve-s

I have used both hyposalinity and copper but each has it's uses accordingly. If an early infestation, I prefer hypo (@14ppt) as it is well tolerated by most teleost fish as well as only marginally affecting the biofilter. If the infestation is advanced, copper might be a bit "faster acting" but I would only ever use Cupramine. It is the least stressful and more widely tolerated by the most sensitive of fish.

Salinities lower than 14 ppt are not necessary unless dealing with a variant, then copper would be required.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I can only hope that I fall into the "normal" catagory in that I hope this is ick. Im sure it was/is. I have seen no other bumps since the QT began. I thought I would. I sure hope I dont do this for 6-8 weeks then put them all back in the tank only for this to happen...I know, relax!!
I assume after 5-6 weeks i will bring the salinity back up to ready them for the main tank again. I hope at that time that if something is still there, then it will reer its head again. If it werent for the regal having been through copper once before I would do copper...but I hate to do that again. Hope Im making the right decision.
Thanks for all the patience with me..
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve/Quarry
Another question. It has been about a week to a week and a half and I have noticed no ick on any of the fish. However today I see about 6-8 spots on the tang. Is this normal? I didnt see any for over a week now?
If its gets really bad, and I decide to treat with copper, should I bring the salinity back up or leave it down? Its at 1.010 and all levels are good except for PH..its at around 7.8-8.0. Im bringing it up now. All of the fish are eating good.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
However today I see about 6-8 spots on the tang. Is this normal? I didnt see any for over a week now?
Is you refractometer calibrated? Are they white? It may be a little scarring.

Quote:
f its gets really bad, and I decide to treat with copper, should I bring the salinity back up or leave it down?
It shouldn't if your levels are right, but if you decide to go copper, you will need to get the SG back to normal levels first. Don't want to stress them too bad. Just make sure you raise it by no more than 1.001 per day.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com