Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Yes the refractometer is calobrated. I will chk it again. And no this is new spots. He was spot free when I moved him into the QT and for a week now. These are new spots and they are ick. Im really starting to get frustrated. I didnt expect to see this a week into the treatment.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The theronts may have already been there, you just could not see them in their early stage. They are not vunerable to the treatment until they reach the free swimming state and this can take some time.
Thats why we keep the hypo at treatment level for at least 4 weeks.
hang in there, this is not that out of the ordinary.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quarry
I went ahead and recal my refrac and it was right on. I guess I was expecting to see no ick spots once I got the salinity down. But I did confirm that the level is 1.010 (I think 14 PPT). Temp is 80. Im hanging in there after thinking about it. Just very frustrating that all of this could have been avoided if I would have just thought to dip the corals. Thanks for the encouragement!! :P
Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also on this...I have had my salinity at 1.010...I thought you could have it in the range of 12-14 PPT which is the 1.009 to like 1.011...Quarry I read one of your posts that said it has to be 1.009...
Old 02-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, was wondering how it was going.
I just shoot for the low side of that range, personal preference.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Going well so far. Im steady at 1.010 now and the PH that was giving me a problem is at 8 so Im getting there. Do have a small nitrite issue though...its weird. I tested and it shows .1 to .2..no ammonia...less than 5 trates. I think I will lower the salinity to 1.009 and keep it there to feel more comfortable.
I syphon a little water each night to get the poop and left over nori in the tank out so it doesnt sit in there and rot. I dont know why I would have trites at all...I think I might use Prime just as a safeguard...any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think I might use Prime just as a safeguard...
Not familiar with it sorry.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #68
steve-s

Prime will not remove the NO2 but it will detoxify it some. You may need to buy new test kits unless already using Seachems multitesters. The additive will skew most others giving a false positive for NH3 and NO2 after use. It will continue to do so for several weeks.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I tested my water with 2 different test kits. One is Aquarium Systems and it tested my trates at less than 10...trites at less than .2.
The other is TetraTest. My trites were at less than .3 and the trates are less than 10...As far as I can see I have no ammonia. I have one of the Seachem ammonia cards in the tank. All of my fish act fine.
I didnt have this issue when I was using copper several months ago. I have 2 seeded spounges in the tank and I used my main tank water when setting up the QT...what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to knock these out? I syphon out a small pitcher of water each night and add new so I thought this would work great... I dont want poop and peices of nori sitting in the bottom rotting...please help OR am I just over reacting?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #70
steve-s

You may never get rid of all the NO2 but ensuring it stays as low as possible is sometimes all you can do. Keep in mind this is not an ideal circumstance no matter how well prepared. The typical QT set up is no match for the proper biofiltration of a unhindered ecosystem.

BTW, when was the last time your sponges where rinsed in SW to remove debris?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com