Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2005, 08:40 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
ok makes sense. And again I appreciate your willingness to keep explaining to me these things. First of all, all of the fish are still doing well. They are eating and swimming as normal. Keep in mind the QT tank has been set up with fish in it since 1/27. So based on what you have said above, I should be nearing the end of the ammonia spike. I did go ahead and put the Turbo Stop as well as the Prime in last night. The way I see it, it cant hurt.
The PVC parts have brown algea on them as well as the back and side walls. I hope your right in that this is a good sign. What amazes me is that I have had this setup running for 2.5 weeks and this is going on. I guess if I wasnt doing the past water changes, the fish might have died and I would have had no idea why.
Also I assume the salicylate is the powder form of test kits? If so I have one of those here at the house. Its a test kit by Aquarium Systems. I have used this in the past. I will test tonight and see what I come up with. If I use the salicylate test kit, is it an accurate reading?
Thanks again for the all help.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:58 PM   #82
steve-s

The brown algae won't hurt much as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Personally I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Also I assume the salicylate is the powder form of test kits? If so I have one of those here at the house. Its a test kit by Aquarium Systems. I have used this in the past. I will test tonight and see what I come up with. If I use the salicylate test kit, is it an accurate reading?
Thanks again for the all help.
The salicylate kit will work most often, you just need to match the color change as soon as it occurs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so my dottieback was really stressed last night about 11 PM. I heard him surfacing trying to get air. I did a 25% water change and added some Prime. After that he was fine. All of the other fish are good. I tested last night before the water change and it was .3-.4 ammonia and .2-.3 trites and less than 10 trates. So I guess I will be doing water changes....I sure hope this works and will knock out the ammonia...how long does it take to do so? Days, weeks? I just feel bad for the fish. Im not going to touch anything inside the tank...just syphon out the debris from the bottom each night. And when I do rinse the filters it will be with water from the tank.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #84
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
So I guess I will be doing water changes....I sure hope this works and will knock out the ammonia...how long does it take to do so? Days, weeks?
Anywhere from a few days to a week would be a good estimate. It really depends on the waste being produced. As long as the water changes keep the toxins at bay, your fish should be fine.

How often do you feed and how much?

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Depending on the bioload it can take IME 7-10 days, but the water changes always works for me.
Follow Steve's schedule and they shouldn't stress too bad.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve/Quarry
Well I did a water test tonight before I did my evening water change, and the ammonia was .10 which was down from last night at .3-.4 and trites were 30 or less and no trates. I did a water change this morning as well of about 15%-20%. I also rinsed the HOB filters out in the QT water this time!!! Lesson learned. I didnt do any vigerous cleaning either...just sort of tried to get any loose stuff off of the filter pads. And Im not going to touch the PVC or anything inside the tank from now on.
Also I feed every other day and not a lot either. I make sure all of the fish get something. I also clip a small peice of Nori in each day. But I do make sure I syphon all of the reminents out when the clip comes out at night. The only thing I feed them every other night is mysis.
All of the fish are eating well for sure. Im going to do another small water change in the morning as well as one at night tomorrow and maybe this will knock down the ammonia some more. Also I am using the powder test kit. I did try the drops test kit and your right they give no reading. So the powder does work.
Any and all other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:37 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Cool!! Sounds like you are getting there.
I know the algea makes the qt ugly, but it does help.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Test tonight before the 2nd water change of the day was as follows:
Ammonia = less than 10 (was around 10 last night)
Trites = .50 (up from last night (30) for some reason)
Trates = 10 or less...probably 0

I hope this isnt a bad sign. Going to keep after it. This will be the 3-4th day I have been doing this so Im almost there if the week to 10 day thing is my luck!! I sure hope so!!
Thanks again for the help
Old 02-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #89
steve-s

Not a bad sign actually more of a good one. The ammonia is staying in check and the increase in trites could simpley be from the bacteria doing it's job. Depending on how much water you're changing out each time, you might just need to increase the volume of each water change a bit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well last night I tested and ammonia was still around 10 and the trites were down to around 30. But I got up this morning to find my dottieback surfacing again. Did my usual 25% water change if not more....and all was well. I dont usually test in the AM just the PM...
Also I rinsed the drop in filters from the HOB filters. How often should I rinse these? Also once the levels drop, do I need to take these out completely one by one?
Im going to be really glad once my levels are right...this is getting old doing 2 water changes per day. I dont mind one every other day but this is nuts!!

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com