Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Another Ick question...

ok guys. I have had my tank up and running for about 2 years with no ick. I turned on the lights this morning and saw that my regal has 2 spots on him that are under the skin. I assume its ick.
My question is will it hurt to treat ALL of the fish in a QT even though they dont show signs? Secondly, I have 4 small fish (1 tang about 2 inches long, 1 perc, 1 damsel, 1 velvet dottieback.), will this be to much for a 20 gallon QT?
Lastly, I spoke to a guy at a LFS that is very large in this area and his theory is ick is always in a tank and you can never get rid of it. Its either in the fish or water. He said he has had a tank for 2 years and has added nothing in over a year and found ick on his fish the other morning for no reason. Plus I was reading the posts and saw where Revtree has batteled this for a long time. Im beginning to wonder if this theory isnt right?
I dont want to QT my fish unless I have to. Should I wait to see if the tang developes any more spots before putting him in QT along with the others?
Thanks

Old 01-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When was the last time *anything* was added to your tank? Based on the links that I read provided by QS (on the sick fish forum) Ick has to have a host to survive and it would go to the host if present. Could it have possibly come in on water from either coral, inverts or rock not kept in a fishless system at the supplier?

As far as the QT, I'm in the process of building an overflow system to hook my 20g QT into a 30g garbage can so that in the event of a crisis I can have my fish in 50g of water rather than 20. I'd rather be safe than sorry where it comes to the lives of so many fish.

A bump under the skin? I thought Marine Ick presented as a white thing ON the fish?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

QS gave me a link today about ick and it was described as cysts under the skin. I too always read "on" the skin so I did not properly identify it and lost two clowns. I would QT the fish just in case

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Can you grab us a pic?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the bumps have gone way down and you can barely see them. This is what happened to the regal when I first brough it home and it went into the QT tank. It was fine for about a week then noticed 2-4 bumps on it...next morning it was covered with it. When the bumps are raised, it looks like it is ON the skin but as they fade during the day, it regresses to under the skin. Its for sure Ick...bad for me.
Also I added some coral frags a day or so ago but thought I was careful in getting no water from the bag in my tank.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It was fine for about a week then noticed 2-4 bumps on it...next morning it was covered with it. When the bumps are raised, it looks like it is ON the skin but as they fade during the day, it regresses to under the skin. Its for sure Ick...bad for me.
Sounds like it, sorry to say.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
if your water is fine, then it may have been a temperature change that caused stress. or salinity change.

Give it a good squeeze of stress zyme! cant add enough of that stuff!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
if your water is fine, then it may have been a temperature change that caused stress. or salinity change.
It may worsen an ich outbreak, but the parasite has to first be in a system for an out break to happen.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Also I added some coral frags a day or so ago but thought I was careful in getting no water from the bag in my tank.
Adding water isn't all that relavent. The cysts can be carried in from any hard surfaced materials. If there where any fish in the coral tank you purchased from or connected to the same system, C. irritans can be carried in quite easily.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Im keeping my fingers crossed...so far the 3 bumps are not there and no more this morning. Im still not convinced that Ick isnt in the fish as well as the water in all tanks. I think the right conditions are what spur it into action. I am being told by numerous fish stores here that have been around a long time in my area that this is the case. So far I have seen nothing on the board that convinces me otherwise. i see people doing Qt tanks as well as taking ick fish from the main and putting them in QT tanks multiple times to have to keep sending them to the QT a few weeks/months later. I have also read books to show different opinions as well. You would think that as many years as the hobby has been around that there would be a conclusive study on this subject...I dont want to appear aurumentative but very frustrating to think there is no conclusive study on this.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com