Another ick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my tank up and running, finished the cycling and added a striped damsel, gold maroon clown, sailfin tang and a green brain coral. Everything was fine until about 1 week ago when I noticed white spots on the tang. After dismantling the rock and finally catching him, he got a freshwater dip for about 2 minutes. Didn't appear to do any good. Being how it is so hard to catch him, I decided to try kick ich and soaking flake food in garlic juice. The fish eat the food fine. Nothing appears to be getting better though, if anything it may be getting worse. None of the other fish have shown any signs of infestation.

What I am considering is dropping the SG to about 1.019 and raising the temperature to 84 and continuing with the garlic and kick ich. I am also going to go get a cleaner shrimp tomorrow.

What I would like to know is this a good idea with the livestock I have, which really isn't much?

Garlic is a good option, but the best option would be to isolate the affected fish in a hospital tank and treat them with meds. IMO Kick Ich is OK. I used it once with great results, but I know some people who have used it and it has done nothing. The important thing with that product is YOU MUST follow the direction Exactly. Ich can be very frustrating, I know! :x I would isolate and treat. Hang in there and good luck. :)

Kick Ick does work if you follow the directions. It may take more than the recomended treatments though. I think the package recomends repeating in 48 hours then after another 48 hours doing a water change, I have a friend who had to so this two or three time before it helped. The garlic is more preventative than a cure, but it won't hurt to use it now. After you clear this up you should used it weekly as a preventative. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom