another mis-hap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
today is a sad day for my tank and a big blow to my self esteem. i lost my favorite fish today. :( it was a red sea purple tang and i have had him for almost a year and a half. i am at my apartment up at school and my mom called me on the phone saying that we had a power outage yesterday and the tanks temperature went down to 72 degrees. the power was out for just about 3 to 4 hours. she said once the power came back everything seemed fine last night and also this morning. HOWEVER this afternoon she went down there to see the tang sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving just chilling. she thought it was odd so she watched for a little while and nothing. by 5 oclock it was floating on top of the water. i just don't understand. out of all my fish that was the one i liked the most. i loved to watch it swim because it almost appeared to change colors as it you viewed it from different angles. anyway this is the second fish i lost this week. the first was my white ray shrimp goby from my nano if you didn't see that thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=12326&highlight=
. so i am a little down and just need to vent.

Sorry to hear about that :cry: I was ready to give this hobby up a month or so ago when all this stuff kept dieing and killing other stuff it "wasn't supposed to" but I stuck with it and everything is getting better. I"m sure your luck will turn around for the better soon :D

I am really so sorry to hear that.. Its amazing how attached you can get to a fish.. Anyway, I have lots of power outages at my home so I bought a computer battery back up. They are not cheap & run around 80 to 100. But well worth it. It has three outlets so you could plug in the pumps and the heater. I wonder if it wasnt the drop in oxygen that caused the death rather then the heat??

Back
Top Bottom