Another newb possible ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shifty99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, been lurking since the arrival of my new 100g. FO tank about 2 weeks ago(still learning the lingo, so bare with me). Been cycling for this time with 8 damsels. My tank is brand new and has a wet/dry filtration system built in with those bio-balls and 2 foam filters. Waiting on a uv sterilizer until I get the tank ready for other stock as I was told not to run a sterilizer during the cycling period. I don't have a water test kit yet and didn't figure it mattered until my first test in a couple weeks at my LFS. My question is I am terribly paranoid of getting ick or ich(are they the same or different) in my tank. 3 or 4 of my damsels have been going around the coral and sides of the tank and scratching their gills. Been looking at them until my eyes bugged out of my head for white spots. Called the LFS and they said to treat with copper, added the copper 4 days ago and they are still scratching themselves periodicly. One has started to wear the scales on his gill away. Fron everything I have read, these diseases are almost always accompanied by white spots, which none of the fish have. They all eat well and look healthy with good color and clear eyes. Should I give it some more time? Do fish sometimes scratch for no reason? Can my LFS test my water for parasites? Could it be a different type of parasite? Sorry for all the questions, but you all seem to be quite helpful and I just want a healthy tank. Thanx

Welcome to AA. Just so you`ll know Alot of us including my self do not cycle a tank with live fish. Here is an article to explain.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Your cycle will go slower as you will have to do some PWC to relieve your fish. It might be too late now but at least you`ll know next time. Your LFS is not giving you some good advice here. His job here is to sell you everything he can to make a living. You should not treat fish unless you know them to have whatever you are treating for. I hope also that he did not get you to put copper in your main tank. Later on down the road you might want to go with inverts or corals and you wont be able to or if you sell your tank they wont be able to. Your fish are probably stressing out due to the cycle in your tank. I`m not being Harsh but I think maybe a LFS change might be needed. Good luck down the road and dont forget if you have any questions we are here to help.

Thanx for the quick reply. That is why I am glad I found this forum, I'm not sure I trust my LFS. Too bad because it is the only one around. But I am hoping that between this site and a few others I can make some more educated decisions and enjoy this hobby for a long time to come.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I usually say, "Please do not cycle with live animals".
Can you take them back?
I do agree with mel, the LFS should have never told you to treat your main with meds. Your tank is not going to be great on any inverts, unfortunately. I would suggest asking advice here first and take your LFS's advice with a grain of salt, sine they are out to make money and we are out to have fun and enjoy.
Is there anyway you can get a picture of the wounds?
Ich will show up on them and drop off, then multiply.

The fact you added copper is going to cause you some major issues down the road. There are some products out there that claim to remove all traces of it. You might want to start looking for them. Inverts of most types, snails, starfish, and shrimp for example, are highly sensitive to copper and will not survive in a tank that has had copper in it.

It sounds more like your fish were suffering from ammonia poisoning, not ich. If you read the link Melosu gave you, I am sure you have a better understanding now.

As you can see we are here to help you and others. Feel free to ask and I `m sure you`ll find what you are looking for.

The only good side I can see to this is that I am not going to be putting ANY inverts in the tank(the LFS knew this), so maybe not terrible advice on their part, other than starting the tank with fish. My stock wish list will probably not do well with inverts

1-porcupine puffer
1-triggerfish
1-lionfish
1-flame angel

I will look for an article on ammonia poisoning, I have not heard of it yet, but am willing to look at the options. Just been looking at the fish again and they are still scrathing, but no white spots. Should I go to my LFS for a water test? Can they test for parasites? Thank You all for the advice and let me know if you think of anything. Don't have a camera to take pics.

It looks like you are right on the no inverts! Cool list. My guess is it probably is ammonia, since they are now, unfortunately living in sewage, if you can take them back, I would and do the fishless cycle....

That`s what I was talking about. Sorry if I made it seem like something else. He can check your parameters

Back
Top Bottom