ANOTHER ONE GONE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I lost my yellow watchman goby this morning (saw the nass. snails having a mosh pit on him). Im going to take a water sample to my LFS and see what readings they are getting. Something is wrong here. I dont udnerstand how I keep loosing gobies, but no inverts clowns. Hopefully my new purple firefish will stay alive, even though he hasnt came out from under his rock in 2 days.

Also I even did the drip accimation this time for 2.5 hours. I dont see what else I can do for these fish to survive? Do I just have really bad luck?

if you don't have one, you need to spend the ~$30 and get a saltwater master test kit. If you do have one, post your parameters....

Nitrate and Nitrate =0
Amonia= 0
PH=8.4 (only thing that i can see that is extreme right now)
SG = 1.022
Temp= 79*-81*

Those are my readings. Everything seems to be perfect.

Civicman86 said:
How do I find out about stray voltage?
I bolded the link to the stray voltage which provides step by step instructions. I prefer to do it that way instead of posting the long link.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa101602.htm

Civicman86 said:
Im going to check the PH swing tonight when lights go off. Maybe Ill put an old aquarium light over the sump to keep the PH relatively constant.
Is your sump also a refugium with sand/plants/algae? Lighting the water alone will not stabilize your ph much.

Don`t go with the bad luck part there`s no such thing as luck IMO. Things happen for a reason. my tank stays at 8.4 so this is not extreme. I do agree with neil that a test kit is in your future or should be anyway. Have you added any LR lately that might have some unwanted kritters in it. So many things it could be.

I have a test kit, and I took the water to the LFS and they got the same readings as myself.

No recent changes to the tank. I have had 2 clowns in the tank for a couple weeks and they have been thriving. Along with my skunk and emerald crab.

Along with the yellow goby i bought a pistol and a purple firefish. Both firefish and pistol are still alive.

How do I find out about stray voltage? Im going to check the PH swing tonight when lights go off. Maybe Ill put an old aquarium light over the sump to keep the PH relatively constant.

Standard volt meter. How much does your PH change at night? I lost both of my high fin gobies last week. :cry: I "think" I caught the guilty party yesterday. Mantis :twisted:

Sweet my, gf's parents got me a voltmeter for xmas (Im a big car tuner, if your asking why they would get me a voltmeter lol).

Sorry to hear about your losses too brenden. Hope you did find the culprit.

Civicman86 said:
I bolded the link to the stray voltage which provides step by step instructions. I prefer to do it that way instead of posting the long link.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa101602.htm

Civicman86 said:
Im going to check the PH swing tonight when lights go off. Maybe Ill put an old aquarium light over the sump to keep the PH relatively constant.
Is your sump also a refugium with sand/plants/algae? Lighting the water alone will not stabilize your ph much.

nope, it has some LR, getting cheato soon when my LFS gets some in :-\ I was told that having lights on the water all the time will help keep the flucuating down. Either way Im reading 8.4 an hour after lights are out, which is what i get during the day. :-\ (thats with lights on 24/7)

Here are the results. Day is midday, night=1hour after lights are out(bottom tank lights on).

Test3.JPG

Test2.JPG

Civicman86 said:
Either way Im reading 8.4 an hour after lights are out, which is what i get during the day.
Not enough time to make a difference. You will notice the biggest swing in the morning before turning the lights on and as you already know at night just before turning the lights off. Lighted water has little effect on ph but lighting plants/algae opposite the main tank or 24/7 does have an effect because of their ability to process CO2.

OK cool. I will do another test tomorrow morning then and see what it says.

Im thinking there might be someone in the tank (*cough* mantis *cough*) who is killin the fish. Im going to try to catch him soon. have to do some research on the best way to nab him

Back
Top Bottom