Another shrimp dead! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So foible: you recommend dosing iodine to waterchange water?

Atari: My TDS' are 4, which is great. But good idea, I'll check for copper. Are all iodine test kits useless then?!? Seems like OD'ing could be a problem if they are.

I will try a shrimp from Oasis, plan to get down there in next couple of weeks...hour journey should be ok for him I guess.

Atari: are you setting up your QT anytime soon? :p

Going to get another shrimp on sunday and try once again. Not too hopeful though! This is the last try - if this one doesn't last I guess I'll have to accept that my tank just can't accomodate shrimp, for some unknown reason :p

I dont want to dose iodine etc.

Anyone any other tips? I'm going to do a 2hr drip acclimate (although the temp. will lower quite a bit I guess). There's not really much else I can do is there! All levels are fine.

Can you not float the bag in your tank as you drip? That's what I do, float the bag closed for 30mins to equalise the temp & stop CO2/Oxygen problems, then I open it & drip for anything between 1½-2 hours depending on the livestock involved?

If you drip into the bag then you can re-float it whenever you want to bring the temp back up.. I usually rest the bag in a bucket on the floor next to the tank. As long as your SG is close to 1.025, 2 hrs should be plenty.

Cool - should the temp really drop much over 2 hours if my house is fairly warm?

It can do, I use a heat mat to maintain the water temp.

As for the shrimp dying after shedding skin sounds like it could be 1 of a couple of reasons. Iodene as mentioned earlier is essential to help with the new exoskeleton formation and if used up in water as it will be, would need to be added. Also safe refuges have to be available so the animal can hide during the vital period where its exoskeleton hardens which also needs calcium amongst other elements (although you will have a enough of this). Without safe refuges it adds to the stress of the animal and will not help. Crevices and caves in rock serve this purpose and if you have enough of these then i would look at your iodene/iodide/iodate values.

Cheers

Sam

Back
Top Bottom